#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

1) Turkey is not an imperialist state in a Marxist sense. If all aggressive states were imperialists, various states (like Saddam Hussein's Iraq, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, UAE etc.) would all be imperialist. This is obviously nonsense. We need a Leninist definition of imperialism.

We have dealt with the definition of imperialist and non-imperialist state in length in various books and pamphlets. They are collected for download here: https://www.thecommunists.net/theory/china-russia-as-imperialist-powers/.

On Turkey's economy and political regime see e.g. a sub-chapter in our latest book on the world situation (https://www.thecommunists.net/theory/world-perspectives-2018/chapter-v/) as well as our Great Robbery book pp. 222-229, https://www.thecommunists.net/theory/great-robbery-of-the-south/.

2) There is no doubt that US is playing with the YPG. For Washington the YPG are useful idiots, nothing more. When they are of no use, they will sell them. This is why the YPG policy of becoming Washington's foot soldiers was not only unprincipled but ridiculous stupid and self-defeating. The YPG pro-imperialist adventure has certainly increased the hatred of the Arabs and the Turks against them.

3) Washington's game at the moment is to let the YPG in Afrin alone (i.e. sell it to Turkey) and to keep them as allies in the east. This strategy is full of contradictions and obstacles and can fail. Turkey is in a relative strong position towards the U.S. and demands also their retreat from Manbij.

4) If Chris Slee denies our characterization of the YPG role as Washington's foot soldier, how would he characterize them? I know that the YPG claims that they are using the US and not the other way round. But someone who possesses a brain can hardly believe that in the relationship between a small guerrilla group and the biggest imperialist power on earth (with thousands of US troops on the ground) it is the small group which dominates the relationship. Does Chris Slee really believe such YPG nonsense? If the YPG claims such idiocy, why should we believe them when they claim that ISIS and HTS are attacking them in Afrin?

5) I am sure comrades have heard that the Syrian government announced that it has reached a deal with the YPG on collaboration in Afrin against Turkey. This is also telling and not an argument in favor of believing YPG claims.

6) How can it be an indication that HTS supports Turkey in attacking Afrin if they accompany Turkish troops when they enter HTS territory in Idlib?! I do not support the opportunism of the Jolani leadership but this doesn't tell you anything about the Afrin operation.