#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Hi comrades

I come at this issue as a complete outsider, being British and not
American, so please let me know if I'm missing any cultural nuances.

However, the idea that the freedom to purchase fire arms somehow breaks the
state's monopoly on force rings false to me. The state may allow an
individual the immediate power of using lethal force, but it still reserves
the right to adjudicate afterwards. Therefore, a black person who uses
their "right" to use said force ends up in prison/executed, George
Zimmerman goes free, etc.

Am I correct in saying that the root of the "right to bear arms" is
essentially rooted in a petty bourgeois concern in preserving property
rights? It strikes me that even if this wasn't the original intention of
the Second Amendment, it certainly seems to be how that "right" is used.

I'm entirely in favour of the working class having recourse to force, but
that doesn't mean I am in favour of an individual, even a working class
individual, having the right to use force whenever it suits them. For "the
class" to have recourse to force requires them to have said recourse
COLLECTIVELY. Any decision to use force should be subject to democratic
procedures decided on by the class, which means it should be the
prerogative of working class organisations.

Any other approach, which centres the rights of the "individual" strikes me
as a little Proudhonist.

Tim N