#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Sheldon is missing the point. "Zio" is not like "S**bo" or "K***" and it is
not like someone redefining either of those words. Why? Because "Zio"
is *already
taken from another word, namely Zionist. *

I have seen literally 0 evidence that David Duke is even the originator of
the prefix and Sheldon hasn't posted any (I don't know how someone could
possibly keep track of such a thing) but it should go without saying that
the prefix is taken from another word, namely, "Zionist". If "s****" or the
k-word or the n-word had been taken from another word that had political
significance and was repurposed as a euphemism then it would be analogous.
Of course, they aren't. The N word isn't short for Nationalist. The K word
isn't short for Kahanist. S**** isn't short for Social Democrat.

But "Zio" is transparently short for "Zionist". David Duke has also misused
the term "Zionist" to refer to an international Jewish conspiracy. Unless
Sheldon is suggesting that that term now also belongs to David Duke because
he began repurposing it then this entire line of reasoning is
self-contradictory bullshit. As usual it is yet another manipulative way to
tie opposition to Zionism with anti-Semitism. Even assuming David Duke was
the first and only person to turn "Zionist" into a prefix it would be
irrelevant because he didn't come up with the term "Zionist". It has
meaning independently of how Zionists and anti-Semites have redefined it as
a codeword for "Jew".

The effect of these long, drawn out, meaningless conversations is to police
the tone and make it impossible to talk about Zionism openly, whether as a
prefix, a noun, an adjective. How is this not racist? If Sheldon saw
Palestinians as equals (rather than tokens or excess people) would this be
acceptable? Of course not!

Amith R. Gupta

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 2:43 PM, Sheldon Ranz via Marxism <