#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

This is certainly no endorsement of Erdogan and the AKP regime and its
sharp authoritarian drift, especially in its current form in alliance
with [its former enemy] the Turko-nationalist MHP.

The HDP certainly did well to get "over the line" despite its leaders
having to campaign from prison cells, but the reality is they were
never going to be the main opposition. And governments win partly
because of oppositions.

What is more odd is the international view that the main opposition
party, the Kemalist CHP, is part of a broadly "centre-left" opposition
to the AKP. While the CHP may have made some opportunistic leftward
poses, and may even be supported by some genuine leftist elements out
of desperation with Erdogan's growing repressiveness, and it may even
be unfair to associate the current CHP with the decades of right-wing
Turko-nationalist military dictatorships and deep states that ruled
under the 'Kemalist' banner, one thing is for sure: nowhere else in
the world is "left" associated with extreme national chauvinism and
going to the polls with an election promise to expel millions of
refugees from your country!!

On this issue, CHP candidate Ince had it all over Trump, Salvini,
Wilders, Le Pen etc. Even the MHP itself couldn't keep up. And it
should be noted that while the AKP was allied to the far-right
nationalist MHP, the CHP is allied to the far-right nationalist split
from the MHP with the same politics, the IYI party of former MHP
leader Aksener.

Here are a few choice quotes from the CHP's ultra-rightist campaign,
which, somehow, have not seen the light of day in virtually any media
reportage. It is not difficult to understand why the now nearly 4
million Syrian refugees in Turkey, despite growing distrust of
Erdogan, breathed a sigh of relief when the reactionary, chauvinist
opposition was trounced:

https://twitter.com/DanaNawzar/status/1007941415329042433

I am amazed how the anti immigration and xenophobic rhetoric of
Muharram Ince, the most likely rival of Erdogan in a possible 2nd
round of Turkey's presidential elections does not make any headline in
the international media! Here are a few of his most recent remarks.

May 24 on CNN Turk: "There are 4.5 million Syrians living in Turkey.72
thousand people go to celebrate eid & come back. Why you come back?
for holiday? It means you are in good condition. When they go, the
door should be closed on them. Are we a food bank?

June 1, while talking at an election rally, Ince commented on AKP's
filing a candidate of Syrian origins saying sarcastically, "Soon you
will have a Syrian MP. Congratulations!" The crowd followed by booing

June 13, 2018, talking at an election rally in Giresun, Ince said, "We
have spent 40 billion dollars on Syrian refugees. If Erdogan is
elected again, we are doomed. Another 2,5 million Syrians will come to
Turkey"

At the same election rally, Ince said, "There are 4 million Syrians in
Turkey but we do not have an embassy in Damascus. If I am elected i
will reopen the embassy and return the Syrians to Syria!"

Ince has a long history of playing to Turkish nationalist sentiment.
Before nomination, he was CHP's anti-HDP, anti-Kurdish face. He's now
using a much more dangerous xenophobic language. if he was a candidate
anywhere in Europe, would be on a far right ticket.

Meral Aksener, the ultra-nationalist Turkish candidate has the exact
same theoretic. Aksener who will certainly back Ince up in a possible
2nd round has made same promises: to send all the Syrians home! She
renewed the promise just few days ago

As Sam Hamad writes (with links in article)
https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/comment/2018/6/26/erdogans-re-election-is-good-news-for-syrians-in-turkey:

The main opposition forces in Turkey have been ramping up rhetoric and
racist propaganda against Syrians to cultivate and exploit racism. The
CHP, the single largest opposition party and the main force in the
'Nation Alliance', launched a social media campaign claiming Syrian
refugees are forcing up the rent prices, stealing the jobs of and,
perhaps most sinister, threatening the security of Turks (eliding
Syrian refugees with IS is not uncommon).

Most of this will sound familiar to readers from the UK who saw those
three basic racist arguments utilised so well in the Brexit
referendum, as well as those in the US who continue to witness Trump's
racist exploitation of 'immigrants' and asylum seekers.

Indeed, it was during a recent opposition rally that the presidential
candidate of the CHP said that he would send four million Syrians back
to Syria, which prompted ominous celebrations from the huge crowd.

This call to simply send all Syrian refugees back to Turkey was echoed
by Meral Aksener, presidential candidate of the CHP's electoral allies
the IYI (Good) Party.

She claimed that the $36 billion spent on Syrian refugees ought to be
spent on Turks instead, also claiming that the AKP "have intervened in
Syria's internal politics and then we had 4 million Syrian refugees…
all citizens are free and happy in their own country… after I am
elected, my first action will be to fix our relations with Syria and
to send the 4 million [Syrians]… back to their countries."