#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Hi Amith

I'm on my bus on my phone, so citing sources isn't easy.

Yes, Facebook comments are hardly a clear guide. But I guarantee you that
anything but a cursory glance at the left in Britain will show you that
anti-Semitism is real and is a problem. It's far from dominant, but there
is a minority that either consciously or unconsciously subscribe to
anti-Semitic ideas. Unfortunately that minority have latched onto the
pro-Palestine movement.

The problem you highlight is valid. Yes, Zionists conflate support for the
Palestinian people with anti-Semitism. The difficulty is that many
anti-Semites use the word "Zionist" or "Israeli " when they mean Jew. Look
at Galloway for example. He refused to debate an Israeli, and another time
he called for Bradford to be an "Israeli free zone". These things weren't
anything to do with BDS or support for the Palestinian people. They were
dog wistle anti-Semitism under the guise of anti-Zionism.

Some of the accusations of anti-Semitism inside the party are frivolous.
Some aren't. We need to distinguish between them rather than dismiss them
all.

I would add that the root of this problem comes down to the influence of
Stalinism over the Labour left, particularly on anti-imperialist. The rot
really is apparent now.

Tim N