#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

from a FB friend -

Why was there no left wing McCain is a more important question to ask than
why so many Syrians will say nice things about a right wing and,
often, virulently
reactionary Republican. It’s not their shame. It’s ours.

How did we arrive in a place where not a single major left voice in the
world is associated with the massive struggles for democracy, not a single
major left voice has tried to amplify the voices of those being tortured,
burned, bombed and gassed.

Every single major left voice has either joined in the campaign to blame
the victims or silenced and stifled discussion and debate in the subject. I
mean seriously you think people care what we say now?

The question ‘why was there no left wing McCain’ I borrowed, or, as he
would put it, “stole” from Sam Charles Hamad. I think it’s a profound
question. It is on one level genuinely weird.

The Arab revolutions have been utterly betrayed by those who pretended to
support them. Unsurprising that those looking for solidarity and political
solutions will not therefore look in that direction. Who could be surprised
about this?”