#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

*Impressions of elections in San Leandro*

Two years and three months ago, for reasons totally unrelated to politics,
we moved back to the United States from Colombia. After nearly twenty years
of life in Bogotá, we landed in San Leandro, California.

During that time, I kept up on the USA through Marxmail, the New York
Times, the Sacramento Bee and sundry other sources, but I paid close to
zero attention to the nitty-gritty details of local politics in this
country.

A few months after we arrived, Donald Trump was surprisingly elected. Ouch.
That was a wake-up call. I had thought that the next big crisis of
capitalism in the USA was going to be presided over by a Democrat and that
one result would be radicalization to the left of the Democratic Party -
something like what happened during the 1960’s when Kennedy and Johnson
presided over US escalation of the war in Viet Nam.

Now, it seems that the new radicalization is occurring during the
presidency of a racist, misogynist, authoritarian Republican. One
consequence is that radicalization to the left is occurring mostly in, and
through, the Democratic Party.

I guess you could say that the United States suffers from a form of bipolar
disorder.

Leaving aside any deeper discussion of the present conjuncture, here are my
impressions of the 2018 midterm elections from my current vantage point on
the border of East Oakland and San Leandro.

I live just inside of San Leandro at the north end of town, one block from
East Oakland (which is really in the southern part of Oakland). The
dividing line is Durant Avenue. When I was a kid, it was the dividing line
between all-white San Leandro, and all-black Oakland.

Segregation was a reality here even if it was not written into law. Here,
it was a strange kind of segregation because “white” in San Leandro meant
“not-black” most of the time, so English speaking Chicanos, various other
brown Latinos, Filipinos, and various Asians were able to live in San
Leandro and own property here.

Now both sides of the city line have integrated, but not in exactly the
same ways. Real estate prices are substantially higher here than they are
two blocks away in Oakland, so this part of San Leandro has gentrified with
leakage from Silicon Valley as well as gaining more Asian and Latino
residents, a substantial number of black residents, most of whom are
professional people, and a slew of multiracial and multicultural couples
with their kids. Now the neighborhood reminds me of the way south Berkeley
and north Oakland were back in the 60’s and 70’s.

Nearby East Oakland has mostly avoided gentrification, although real estate
prices there have risen apace with real estate prices throughout the Bay
Area. Integration there has taken the form of Latino and Asian renters
moving in. There are also a smaller number of white gentrifiers buying
moving in.

In 1960, this neighborhood was full of white trade unionists with a
smattering of small business owners and professionals. The Oakland General
motors plant was located just a few blocks away at Durant and East 14th St.
(now called International Blvd in Oakland). In 1963, GM opened its big new
assembly plant in Fremont, so the Oakland plant was turned into a parts
warehouse, but the adjacent neighborhoods remained UAW bastions: white GM
workers across East 14th street in an extension of San Leandro, and black
GM workers north of the plant and north of the white workers’ neighborhood.

In those days, there was also the giant Caterpillar tractor factory nearby
(the first Caterpillar factory anywhere, since Caterpillar was started here
in San Leandro.) My first wife worked there for a time. Not too far away,
there was a Mack Truck factory, a Peterbilt truck factory, a couple of GE
plants, many food processing plants, and dozens of machine shops and sheet
metal shops.

Black east Oakland was even more a bastion of trade unionism than was San
Leandro, especially the UAW, the ILWU and the UE.

East Oakland and San Leandro were right in the center of the World War II
industrial belt that snaked along the bay from Pittsburgh, California on
the Carquinez Straits, where US steel had a plant, through Martinez and
Richmond, where the oil refineries and chemical plants were located,
through the enormous Kaiser shipyards which stretched from Richmond almost
to Albany, through the foundries, glass factories, food processing plants,
and automobile, farm machinery and truck factories of Oakland, San Leandro
and Hayward.

In the center of it all was, and still is, the Port of Oakland. In the
1960’s it was transformed by the war in Viet Nam into one of the world’s
most important container ports.

In those days, silicon valley did not exist: San Jose was a big town in a
sea of fruit orchards with just one big factory called Farm Machinery
Corporation (It was actually a tank factory.)

Now, union membership in this neighborhood usually means teachers and other
government employees. The Fremont GM factory has morphed into a giant
non-union Tesla factory. Caterpillar no longer has a plant here. In its
stead there is a BART station and office buildings occupied by Datasoft.
The Richmond shipyards closed up long ago, the Pittsburgh steel plant a few
decades later, most of the food processing plants are gone. The industrial
East Bay has dwindled down to handfuls of scattered job shops, recyclers
and junk yards. Aside from Tesla, the only significant remnant is the
cluster of oil refineries spewing out poison in Richmond and Martinez, and
the Port – grown far bigger due to US-China trade.

Also bound up with the China trade is Silicon Valley. It emerged from the
womb of the cold war military industrial complex of the Bay Area. Centered
on Ames Research laboratory near Moffett field and the Lawrence Livermore
Radiation laboratory, nurtured by UC Berkeley and Stanford, it extended its
tentacles around the South Bay, and then ate San Francisco and much of the
East Bay as well.

Now San Leandro is a silicon valley bedroom community of about 90.000
people with a growing presence of high-tech companies moving into the old
industrial neighborhoods. It is much cheaper than San Francisco and closer
to Palo Alto than Oakland.

It is, like all similar places, dependent on retail, construction and
service workers. They are overwhelmingly black and immigrant. Immigrants
here come from Asia and Latin America. Latin Americans are mostly from
Mexico but include Central Americans, and a handful of Peruvians. Asians
are divided between Chinese and Filipinos with handfuls from other
countries. If you go into the local Safeway (now owned by Albertson’s), the
people in line often speak both Spanish and English. I marvel at how they
switch effortlessly from one language to another either because they want
some privacy or because they can’t think of the word in one language so
switch to the other.

In 2016, I was not yet tuned in to the details of this town. Now, I still
feel a little like a Martian here, but at least I more or less know the lay
of the land.

Every day I ride my bicycle for a half hour to an hour depending on how
much time I have available. The result is a pretty good knowledge of the
area within a radius of a few miles around my house.

In 2016, my neighborhood had one Donald Trump  sign but lots of Hillary
Clinton signs and a substantial number of Bernie Sanders signs. In fact,
even now there are still a couple of 2012 Obama signs around.

Every election year, these signs sprout up in front yards. They join the *Black
Lives Matter* signs and the more elaborate ones that say things like *Black
Lives Matter, Women’s Rights are Human Rights, Science is Real…* and the
small number of American flags and the larger number of California flags.

This year there are no lawn signs for either of the US Senate candidates
here, but why should there be since they are both Democrats! There are only
a tiny handful of signs for the Democratic Party’s candidate for Congress
here in the 13th Congressional District and none for her opponent. I didn’t
even know that Barbara Lee had an opponent until I read my voter handbook.
It turns out that the Green Party is running a candidate! although without
any visible campaign.

Still there are lots and lots of lawn signs that have sprouted up for San
Leandro mayoral and city council candidates. This is in stark contrast to
the East Oakland neighborhoods on the other side of Durant where you can
walk for blocks without any sign that an election is happening.

This is one of those nonpartisan elections in which no one identifies
themselves by party affiliation, but it seems that ALL of the candidates in
San Leandro are Democrats. We have four candidates for mayor, and two and a
half slates of city council candidates.

My neighborhood seems to be the center of the lawn sign action. Two of the
mayoral candidates live here: Pauline Cutter the incumbent Bay Area style
Clinton Democrat, and Jeromy Shafer the Our Revolution Berniecrat
candidate. Pauline is grandmotherly and clearly winning the battle of the
lawn signs, but Jeromy, who is very nerdy, is giving her a fight.

Cutter’s slogan is “Moving San Leandro Forward”, exactly what this means is
not clear from her literature, but can be seen by her practice as mayor.
She came into politics 20 years ago as a progressive defending the rights
of LGBT students at San Leandro High School. She was elected to the school
board, then the city council, and then to her current office. As Mayor she
helped San Leandro become a sanctuary city on paper, but one whose police
actively cooperate with ICE. Cutter also has a taint about her after
helping her daughter get a high paying city job, and as the result of a
scandal involving the city manager who was accused of sexual harassment of
a woman.

Although Benny Lee and Dan Dillman do not live in my neighborhood, they are
also running for Mayor of San Leandro.

Lee is currently a member of the city council who was elected in an
uncontested race. He is Chinese, has the backing of a list of
Asian/American Democratic Party office holders and a chest of donations
from Asian/American businesses. His campaign promotes the idea that the
city government should provide free Wi-Fi, and also tries to appeal to
Asian and Latino voters by promising to provide interpreters at city hall.
Other than that, his campaign literature sounds just like Pauline Cutter.
In fact, his slogan is “Move San Leandro Forward with Integrity. He
supports city police cooperation with ice and supported Cutter’s purchase
of a tanklike vehicle for crowd control.

Dillman likes to talk about Taoism and has a website with pictures of hot
air balloons floating in the air. An apt visual image, in his case. He owns
an old movie theater that he converted in a venue for concerts with a major
investment from the city government. Beneath empty feel-good rhetoric, he
also supports the local police.

Shafer is running a campaign for a rent control board and protection
against eviction and foreclosure. He calls his big idea “Community
Stabilization”. He highlights the donations to Cutter and Lee from
apartment building owners and real estate agents and has pledged not to
accept donations of more than $99 from anyone. He has lots of airy rhetoric
about building the community and making San Leandro grow in a way that
benefits the community. His wordy website does not say a word about the
local police department’s cooperation with ICE.

Shafer is the local leader of Our Revolution, a proud member of the
California Democratic Party Central Committee, and an endorser of
Democratic Party candidates for all of the top spots in the state.

He and his group of San Leandro Berniecrats are the tepid tea of
radicalization in the here and now.

I am going to vote for the Green Party candidate for Congress, although
after watching the end of her video, I will have to hold my nose.

Laura Wells https://laurawells.org/