#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

> On May 19, 2019, at 7:04 PM, Alan Ginsberg via Marxism
> <marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:
>
> Facebook said Thursday it banned an Israeli company that ran an influence
> campaign aimed at disrupting elections in various countries and has
> canceled dozens of accounts engaged in spreading disinformation.

Given the combination of: (1) what we know about Facebook’s past practices; (2)
what we can reasonably infer about its priorities from the fact that it enjoys
something approaching absolute dominance in the sphere of primary news and
information source for many hundreds of millions of people; (3) the fact that
Zuckerberg is a gazillionaire; and, (4) the fact that there has hardly been any
serious pressure on the company from employers or the public to address this
(unless I missed the announcement of a march — oh yeah, it would have been
announced on Facebook, so maybe I did), then you really have to wonder just how
spectacularly egregious the behaviour that led to this suspension must have
been.

A bizarre story somehow. It’s hard to believe there isn’t some very important
aspect that isn’t being reported.