#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

 A most interesting article that  is focused upon events in Alabama and how
progressive it was.  Centered upon unions.
Have not read the book that the article is based upon but I did read Robin
D G Kelley's "Hammer and Hoe" <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_and_Hoe>
about the Communist Party organizing black and white sharecroppers
alongside Birmingham mine and iron workers.  Excellent piece of work.

In the article there is a good description of "Big Jim" Folsom
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Folsom> and how relatively progressive
he was.  Was sorry that there was no mention of Richmond Flowers Sr and Jr
<https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Richmond+Flowers+Sr+and+Jr>
who took similar unpopular stances.  Damn.  Just thought about it:  Folsom
prison might be named after "Big Jim".  Irony.  But I remember those two as
I'm sure that bells were rung reading their names.

Also brought to mind from the politics of that time and place is John
Patterson, arch-segregationist governor, maybe better known than the two
above because of movie based on his life "The Phoenix City Story"
<https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=%22The+Phoenix+City+Story%22.>
As I recall it was centered upon corruption and Patterson's father was
killed by gangsters.  Wallace's loss to Patterson led him to make the
promise that he "would not be out-niggered again".

JAI