#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

John Edmundson wrote,

"Was it not already Marxism 101 that Turkey and Russia would have more in
common with each other as capitalist powers in the region than either would
have with a revolutionary Syria? Therefore it would be obvious that at some
point, in order to avoid a war with each other they would be willing to
come up with a deal that would sell the Syrians short. I don't think anyone
needed to be claiming great prophetic skills to see that outcome in the
frame."

Although it was entirely predictable that Russia and Turkey would betray
Idlib, I would say that Marxism 101's first lesson about imperialist war is
WWI which featured Czarist but on the capitalist road Russia fighting
Ottoman, and also on the capitalist road, Turkey. War between Russia and
Turkey today is not precluded by the fact that they are both capitalist.