#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

> Modified title: More Social perspectives on COVID-19. follows: Re COVID-19
> Social and Political Analyses - New Politics

Last week & week before, there were a 3-4 messages on COVID that seemed
unduly skeptical to me. Since then I'm glad the tide shifted on this list.
Here is another 'corrective' piece, which is however now much less needed.
However it also has some perspectives that are different from other recent
ones.
<http://ml-today.com/2020/03/17/how-should-marxists-view-the-covid-19-pandemic-of-2019-2020/>
http://ml-today.com/2020/03/17/how-should-marxists-view-the-covid-19-pandemic-of-2019-2020/
 The first largest third of this piece reprises some key medical
literature; the last third has some material from the Financial Times with
chimes well with Patrick Bond's alert yesterday on oil prices - targeting
the expensive shale extraction methods of the USA.

In the start of the piece is this small section on the relationship of
health reforms to capitalist society:
"Throughout this, Marxists may recall how Friedrich Engels wrote about
infectious diseases:

“Capitalist rule cannot allow itself the pleasure of creating epidemic
diseases among the working class with impunity; the consequences fall back
on it and the angel of death rages in its ranks as ruthlessly as in the
ranks of the workers.”

In about 1980, a Marxist history of medicine concluded that there were
three fundamental reasons that a ruling class provided health care benefits
for its working classes:

“The motives which drive a class society to the establishment and
maintenance of an institutionalised system of health care are:
Firstly to ensure good health for the ruling class itself; sanitary reforms
often followed the spread of epidemics from over-crowded slums to the
quarters inhabited by the well-to-do;                        Secondly, to
ensure a minimum of health for the working class in order to maximize its
capacity to produce profit for the ruling class; at particular junctures this
becomes especially important – for example, in time of war when there is a need
for cannon fodder from the working class;
                                                Thirdly, to avert social
unrest among the working class – unrest presenting the threat of social
revolution which would sweep away the class society itself. As that wily
gentlemen of the upper classes, Joseph Chamberlain expressed it bluntly:
                                      “What ransom will property pay for
the security which it enjoys?..  What insurance will wealth find it to its
advantage to provide?”

Cheers Hari Kumar