#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

A Call to Action: Towards a General Strike to End the COVID-19 Crisis
and Create a New World
by Cooperation Jackson
General Strike! No Work, No Shopping Friday, May 1st
https://cooperationjackson.org/announcementsblog/towardsageneralstrike

Workers Gear Up for Major May Day Strike in Pushback Against Unsafe
Conditions Amid Pandemic
by Andrea Germanos
Common Dreams, April 29
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/04/29/workers-gear-major-may-day-strike-pushback-against-unsafe-conditions-amid-pandemic

from DemocracyNow! democracynow.org headlines, April 29:

Workers Plan May Day “People’s Strike” to Demand Safer Workplaces
Workers at some of the biggest corporations in the United States are
planning an unprecedented wave of strikes on May 1, International Workers’
Day. Employees of Amazon, Whole Foods, Walmart, FedEx, Target and Instacart
will walk off the job demanding compensation for unpaid time off work,
hazard pay, sick leave, personal protective equipment and cleaning supplies
at workplaces. Many of the workers are part of a growing coalition that
will join a May 1 People’s Strike launched by worker cooperatives in
Mississippi. This is Kali Akuno, co-director of Cooperation Jackson.

Kali Akuno: “We’re asking everybody to start with these basics: no work, no
shopping, no rent, no mortgage, no school, no borders, no prisons. Right?
Let us all take joint action together.”

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Lends Support to May 1st Rent Strike
Tenants around the U.S. are organizing rent strikes, as rent comes due on
May Day for millions of newly unemployed workers. And some homeowners are
planning to withhold mortgage payments. New York Congressmember Alexandria
Ocasio-Cortez is calling on state and federal officials to cancel housing
payments nationwide during the pandemic.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: “People can’t pay. You cannot coerce someone
into doing something that they cannot do. There is no money in the bank.
People need to feed their kids. We cannot be evicting. We need to be making
sure that we are passing policy that allows people to stay in their homes.”