#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

The politics of the ten Beck novels by Sjöwall & Wahlöö tend to become more
obvious as the series progresses. If you don’t feel like reading all ten in
chronological order, but want to give them one more chance, I suggest you skip
to ”The Abominable Man” (the 7th book, published in 1971). You could also
search out the film based on this story, ”The Man on the Roof” (1976, directed
by Sweden’s greatest director of the second half of the 20th century, Bo
Widerberg).

However, I do think that there is some exaggeration regarding the progressive
character of the Beck novels. As is often the case with stories that focus a
bit too narrowly on alienation, they tend to remain individualistic and can be
read almost as easily as a conservative critique of modernism and the welfare
state.