#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

A number of public officials, retired military officers
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/02/us/politics/military-national-guard-trump-protests.html
 , and protesters were concerned with the Washington, DC, National Guard’s role
in clearing Lafayette Square
https://www.vox.com/2020/6/1/21277610/monday-lafayette-square-tear-gas and
suppressing protests
https://www.vox.com/2020/6/2/21277877/trump-law-and-order-protests-chaos-dc in
the nation’s capital last week for a presidential photo op. So, too, were the
Guard members themselves, according to new
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/10/us/politics/national-guard-protests.html
reports https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/09/national-guard-protests-309932
.

According to reporting from the New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/10/us/politics/national-guard-protests.html ,
when asked to employ “aggressive tactics” against local civilians, “black
members of the D.C. Guard objected to turning on their neighbors.” Some members
of the majority-minority force “were so ashamed in taking part against the
protests that they have kept it from family members,” the Times’s Thomas
Gibbons-Neff, Eric Schmitt, and Helene Cooper report:

>     “Typically, as the D.C. National Guard, we are viewed as the heroes,”
> said another soldier, First Lt. Malik Jenkins-Bey, 42, who was the acting
> commander of the 273rd Military Police Company during the first days of the
> protests. But last week was different, he said.
>
>     “It’s a very tough conversation to have when a soldier turns to me and
> they’re saying, ‘Hey sir, you know my cousin was up there yelling at me, that
> was my neighbor, my best friend from high school,’” said Lieutenant
> Jenkins-Bey, who is African-American.

Full at:
https://www.vox.com/2020/6/11/21288006/black-national-guardsman-discomfort-enforcers-black-lives-matter-protests-george-floyd