#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

...Slavery, he wrote in a draft for Capital, reaches “its most hateful
form … in a situation of capitalist production,” where “exchange value
becomes the determining element of production.” This leads to the
extension of the workday beyond all limit, literally working enslaved
people to death.

Whether in South America, the Caribbean, or the plantations of the
southern United States, slavery was not a peripheral but a central
part of modern capitalism. As the young Marx theorized this
relationship in 1846 in The Poverty of Philosophy, two years before
the Communist Manifesto:

Direct slavery is as much the pivot upon which our present-day
industrialism turns, as are machinery, credit, etc. Without slavery
there would be no cotton, without cotton there would be no modern
industry. It is slavery that has given value to the colonies, it is
the colonies that have created world trade, and world trade is the
necessary condition for large-scale machine industry. Slavery is
therefore an economic category of paramount importance.