----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2000 6:27 PM
Subject: [STOPNATO] That bastard Smith's farm finaly seized?

STOP NATO: NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.COM

UPDATE 2-Zimbabwe land grab reaches Ian Smith's farm

By Darren Schuettler

HARARE, May 14 (Reuters) - Rhodesia's last white leader, Ian Smith, said on
Sunday his cattle ranch in Zimbabwe had been occupied by landless blacks, but
he did not believe they were veterans of the liberation war that ended his
rule in 1980.

``I don't think it's serious,'' the 80-year-old Smith told Reuters outside
his home in Harare's diplomatic quarter.

Thousands of self-styled veterans of the 1970s guerrilla war against Smith's
regime have occupied more than 700 white-owned farms, saying they are
reclaiming land stolen from blacks under British colonial rule.

Farmers in the Matabeleland district that includes Shurugwi, where Smith
farms, told Reuters that many had moved to nearby towns after receiving
threats of occupation and violence.

``There are still a lot of threats and that has some farmers leaving for town
for the weekend,'' a spokesman for the Commercial Farmers' Union (CFU) said.

Smith said his farm about 200 km (125 miles) southwest of Harare had been
occupied on Saturday afternoon.

``I gather there are just a few chaps from the village, who haven't got a job
and I think somebody said to them: 'Well, if everybody is going to stake out
a piece of land, why don't you do the same?'

``If there is one person who is well known in that part of the world, it's a
bloke called Ian Smith,'' he said.

``MORE BLACK FRIENDS THAN MUGABE''

Smith said he did not think it was revenge for his resistance to liberation
20 years ago, adding: ``I've got a peaceful farm...I've got more black
friends in this country now than (President Robert) Mugabe.''

Smith, prime minister from 1964 to 1979, unilaterally declared independence
for then Rhodesia to resist British moves to lead the colony towards
independence and once vowed that whites would rule for 1,000 years.

He told Reuters in March he would come out of retirement to support the
opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) against the ruling ZANU-PF,
which has ruled since independence, in parliamentary elections due by August.

``I am concentrating now on making sure we get rid of the gangsters, the
communists. If we can do that, I will be optimistic,'' he said then.

Mugabe has repeatedly endorsed the occupations, which have twice been
declared illegal by the country's courts.

British Foreign Secretary Robin Cook on Sunday warned Mugabe not to implement
a reported plan to strip whites with rights to British nationality of their
Zimbabwean citizenship.

``It would be an enormous mistake for Zimbabwe to attempt to expel British
citizens with resident qualifications because these are people who are making
a big impact on the economy. They provide the backbone for so much of the
exports of Zimbabwe in the agricultural sector,'' he told BBC television in
London.

The partly state-owned Herald newspaper said on Saturday the government
planned to act against an estimated 86,000 white Zimbabweans with rights also
to British nationality.

Thousands of whites have applied to reactivate their British nationality
since the crisis began in February. The Zimbabwe government ordered citizens
with dual nationality to renounce their British citizenship in 1984, a
measure London never recognised.

Smith said he had no intention of renouncing his British citizenship and
would fight to keep his Zimbabwe passport.

``They haven't got a hope. They are on such shaky ground that the whole thing
will collapse,'' he said.

On Saturday, Cook criticised police action to prevent a peace rally in
central Harare, saying: ``President Mugabe must ensure the violence ends so
the elections can go ahead on a fair basis. Today's violence makes it even
more essential that we get agreement to international observers.''

On Friday, Mugabe after talks with veterans and farmers for the first time
denounced the violence in which at least 19 people, including three white
farmers, have died. He also announced the formation of a land commission
including government officials, farmers and independence war veterans to
carry through the distribution of white farmland to blacks.

But he said the veterans would not leave until land redistribution had
started. Mugabe's government identified 841 white-owned farms for its land
reform programme in 1997.

Home Affairs Minister Dumiso Dabengwa told a ZANU-PF rally in Bulawayo on
Sunday the redistribution of land would begin in a few weeks.

``All that we have now is one million hectares in the 841 farms and before
the end of the year we should have acquired the five million hectares that we
want,'' he said a report carried by the ZIANA news agency.

Farm leaders hope Mugabe's comments and the land commission will calm a
volatile situation on the farms. The CFU spokesman said farmers in some areas
were meeting this weekend to discuss what land could be redistributed to
landless blacks.

But many farmers are sceptical. ``As long as the invaders are still on the
farms there is going to be confrontation,'' one farmer in the northern Karoi
area told Reuters.

12:56 05-14-00