----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2000 12:44 PM
Subject: [STOPNATO] Military-cop convergence

STOP NATO: NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.COM

Seattle Weekly - news: You can't camouflage the military-cop
convergence.
http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0019/editorial-berger.shtml

Published May 11 - 17, 2000
Editorial Comment
You can't camouflage the military-cop convergence.
BY KNUTE BERGER
THE LINE BETWEEN the police and the military has been blurring for
years. Have you noticed how police SWAT teams have adopted US
military-style helmets? Did you see the armored personnel carriers
during the WTO protests?
If any question that the two seem to be merging remained, surely the
famous photo of government agents seizing Elian Gonzalez creates an
image that is apt: government employees resolving a child custody case
at gunpoint in full combat regalia.
Increasingly, police departments around the country are receiving
military-style training and being advised to acquire arsenals that are
compatible with the military's. And while civilian police departments
are being militarized, the military itself is taking on law
enforcement-style missions at home and abroad: peacekeeping in trouble
spots, patrolling US borders, and hunting down drug smugglers.
A recent example is right here on Puget Sound. Last week Governor Gary
Locke called in the National Guard to assist with tracking down, and
shutting down, meth labs in Pierce County. We're not talking civil
unrest, fires, or floods: This is cop work, pure and simple. Locke
defends this by saying meth labs are a health menace and that "we must
all do whatever we can to stop this epidemic." (Remember, this is an
election year.) Guardsmen, in civilian clothes, will assist the police
by doing investigative work and surveillance. Is this really the mission
of the Guard? If Pierce County needs more cops, hire them.
Locke's trigger-happiness with the Guard is indicative of the fact that
many officials can no longer tell the difference between the mission of
one organization and another, and that all civil emergencies are
starting to look alike. Drug dealers and protesters, what's the dif?
IF I SEEM HYPERSENSITIVE on this topic, it's because I'm still reading
through WTO postmortem reports, and I am deeply disturbed by what I see.
For example, there is Mayor Paul Schell's consultant's preliminary
report on the WTO that was released at the end of April. As I warned in
February ("Clean sweep or cover-up?" SW, 2/17), this report was likely
to be highly slanted in its review of the WTO protests and planning
process because the firm conducting it, R.M. McCarthy & Associates, is
comprised of law enforcement heavies who specialize in "riot and crowd
control." And they didn't disappoint.
This first report (and there will be a second, final one in July, the
combined costing $100,000--nearly two-thirds of the City Council's
entire original WTO review budget) covers some of the same ground as the
SPD's own after-action critique. But these guys paint SPD and the mayor
more harshly, almost as protester-coddling hippies. "Neither City
government or the Police department had an obligation to welcome
protesters and ensure their comfort," the report says, calling meeting
with and trying to accommodate some of the protester groups
"ill-advised." In fact, they conclude that protecting the rights of
protesters was the only goal the WTO public safety committee
accomplished. Funny, that. As thousands of locals were gassed and
excluded from downtown's no-protest zone, many had the distinct feeling
their rights were being violated. I guess "violated" now means
"protected," the same way "peacekeeper" now means "missile."
The consultants are outraged at Seattle's onerous police surveillance
ordinance and can't understand how any serious policing can take place
in a city that has one (what, no infiltration of political groups!?).
And at the tail end of the report, they bash (who else?) the media: "The
media, too, is accountable. While there were incidents of objective
reporting, most coverage was inflammatory and at times irresponsible."
They offer not a single example. Certainly in the days leading up to the
WTO, the coverage in the mainstream press was almost all boosterish of
the WTO, free trade, and Christmas shopping: I found that pretty
irresponsible, too, but I doubt we're talking about the same thing.
Another group bears responsibility for the fiasco: "The people of
Seattle who legitimately exercised their First Amendment rights, but
refused to disperse and leave the area when ordered, thus preventing the
police from making arrests and restoring order, also share in the
responsibility for what subsequently occurred. Reasonable, law-abiding
citizens do not remain to watch or participate in anarchy." Wow.
Apparently a lot of anarchists were in Seattle during the WTO--some of
them in baby strollers at the Pike Place Market!
Another report, written by C.L. Staten, a national security analyst for
the Emergency Response and Research Institute (which, by the way, did
not respond to my call), is even more disturbing. In an analysis of the
recent IMF/World Bank protests in Washington, DC, Staten suggests that
protester tactics--the rather decentralized, mobile, hit-and-run methods
used there and in Seattle--are an example of so-called "4th Generation"
or "Asymmetric" warfare, first described in a 1989 Marine Corps Gazette
article. In such warfare, "the battle is likely to be widely dispersed
and largely undefined; the distinction between war and peace will be
blurred to the vanishing point. It will be nonlinear . . . the
distinction between 'civilian' and 'military' may disappear." So that's
how some security analysts are seeing things: Seattle = Somalia.
As the lines between civilian and military blur, as cops and troops
begin to merge, I guess it's natural that lessons learned fighting
enemies abroad might be applied on the home front. Those dancing sea
turtles of November 30, they did kind of look like Third World warlords,
didn't they?

© 1998-2000 Seattle Weekly