Communist Web
Wednesday 24th May 2000 9.30pm gmt

Moms tell candidates: 'Enough!'

By Tim Wheeler
WASHINGTON - Protesters, many of them mothers holding portraits of
their slain children, gathered here 750,000 strong on Mother's Day.
They cheered as speakers called for ousting lawmakers tied to the National
Rifle Association (NRA) who block gun control legislation. They also
applauded a call to keep the NRA out of the White House.
Donna Dees-Thomases, who helped initiate Million Mom March , said the
purpose of the rally was enactment of "sensible gun control" laws such as
licensing and regulation of handguns, gunlocks, and closing the loophole
that exempts gun shows from background checks on handgun purchasers.
"Our votes are our power and we will use that in force in the November
elections," Dees-Thomases said. "We will know where each elected official
and candidate stands ... and they will be held accountable."
The Mall was packed on this sunny spring day. With the arrival of each
new contingent, a cheer went up.
"We're from Minnesota. Enough is enough!" chanted one crowd as it
marched up the Mall. There was a sense of elation at the immense size and
diversity of the crowd, Black, Latino, Asian, American Indian and white.
For many, it was their first demonstration and there was a keen sense of the
power of the people to stem gun violence, which claims 30,000 lives each
year - including 12 children each day.
Raffi, the popular children's entertainer, caught the mood when he led the
crowd in singing "This Little Light of Mine." At one point he hushed the
adults so the children could be heard. "All over Washington, I'm going to
let it shine," they sang as the crowd swayed in unison.
Adrienne Young, an African-American woman from Pittsburgh, held up a
poster-sized portrait of her son, Javon Thompson.
"That's my son," she told the World. "He was a scholarship student at
Carnegie Mellon, an award-winning young artist. He was shot to death on
Dec. 29 1994 during Christmas break, Dec. 20, 1994. He was 18."
"The NRA is a total disgrace," she said. "They value money more than
human life. How dare they victimize us! We need to stem the tide of guns
coming into... http://www.billkath.demon.co.uk/cw/moms/moms.html

     --- from list [EMAIL PROTECTED] ---