Palestine. PFLP Press Releases Dec 11

11 December  2002

On the Occasion of the Thirty-Fifth Anniversary of the
Launch of the Popular Front for the Liberation of
Palestine.

On the eleventh of December 1967, from the heart of the sufferings of
the heroic Palestinian Arab people, the Popular Front for the
Liberation of Palestine emerged as one of the most dramatic and
necessary responses to the defeat of the fifth of June.  Today we
light the thirty-fifth candle on the path of its triumphant and
ongoing struggle for the liberation of Palestine.  Over these
thirty-five years it has been an honor for the Popular Front to shed
waterfalls of blood and to offer caravans of martyrs and prisoners in
defense of the most just and most sacred cause of this age.

The Popular Front has affirmed through its glorious militant march
that it is a party of martyrs and of leaders willing to sacrifice
their dearest possessions for their homeland and people.  The blood of
the heroic leaders - the Guevara of Gaza, Ghassan Kanafani, Basil
al-Kubaysi, and Abu Amal ­ has drenched the soil of Palestine,
affirming the determination of the people of Palestine to continue the
struggle and resistance until all Palestinian national rights have
been reclaimed.

At every point in the continuing intifada, the Popular Front has
adorned the firmament of Palestine with constellations of martyred
leaders.  Chief among them is the knight of the martyrs, the great
Palestinian and Arab leader Abu Ali Mustafa, the former General
Secretary of the Front.  The Front also has bid farewell to the mass
leader Comrade Ribhi Haddad who defended his heroic city: proud,
steadfast, defiant Nablus.

The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine affirms to the
masses of our Palestinian people and our Arab Nation that it will
remain faithful to its Palestinian and Arab national principles,
values, and aims as they were embodied by the first leaders of our
party, in the first place by our leader and founder Dr. George Habash
and the outstanding martyr Abu Ali Mustafa.

On this occasion that is dear to our hearts and to the hearts of all
those struggling for freedom, democracy, and social progress in our
Arab Nation and around the world, the PFLP affirms that it will
continue its just struggle using every militant technique at its
disposal.  It affirms its intent to continue the march of the intifada
and the resistance and to defeat the continuing American-Israeli
efforts against our people.  It will use every means to defend and
strengthen our militant national body.  We appeal to all honorable
people in our Arab Nation and throughout the world to continue to
support our just and legitimate struggle against the occupation and
its exterminationist plans to uproot our people.

The Palestinian cause and Arab national security now face immense
dangers and enormous challenges as the American Administration
prepares for total aggression against fraternal Iraq, using the least
credible pretexts and justifications, aiming to take possession of
Iraq's resources and oil and to gain complete control of the region in
an attempt to eliminate the Palestinian cause and the national rights
of the Palestinian people.

The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine appeals to the Arab
Nation and the Islamic Community, their peoples and governments, to
reject the plans of aggression against Iraq.  It affirms its stance
entirely on the side of Iraq in its confrontation with the current
U.S. policy of aggression and arrogance, for this policy cannot be
separated from Washington¹s unflagging support for the Zionist Entity,
as evidently and purposefully contrary to the interests of the Arab
Nation.

The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine flatly and
unequivocally rejects what is called the American "Road Map" that aims
to eliminate Palestinian national rights. It reiterates its firm
condemnation and total rejection of the so-called Sari Nuseibeh
Document that openly and shamelessly calls for abandoning the right of
Palestinian refugees to return, and which abandons the City of
Jerusalem.  The PFLP calls on our people to resist the policy of
concessions and suspicious calls to halt the intifada and armed
operations against the Zionist occupation.

We call on the masses of our people and on all of their patriotic and
Islamic forces, on our Arab Nation, and all free people of the world
to raise their voices loudly for the release of the militant Ahmad
Saadat, the General Secretary of the Popular Front for the Liberation
of Palestine, whose incarceration is no longer acceptable by any legal
or moral standard whatsoever, particularly after the decision of the
Palestinian Supreme Court calling for his release. We call on all the
forces supporting welfare, freedom, and progress in the world to raise
their voices to join together in demanding the release of more than
nine thousand captives in Zionist prisons, in particular the militant
Abd al-Rahim Mallouh, Deputy General Secretary of the Popular Front
for the Liberation of Palestine.

The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine renews its call for
the reordering of the Palestinian agenda by way of a comprehensive
Palestinian national dialog including all Palestinian forces without
exception in order to regain Palestinian national unity and to rebuild
the institutions of the Palestine Liberation Organization along more
dynamic political and organizational lines.  The document considered
in the Gaza discussions forms a promising basis for this objective, as
well as the need to guarantee the fruition of comprehensive
Palestinian national unity and to guarantee the construction of a real
democratic civil society that puts an end to all forms of corruption
and despotism.

On the thirty-fifth anniversary of the launch of the Popular Front for
the Liberation of Palestine we renew our pledge and commitment that we
will remain faithful to the blood of the martyrs Ra'id Nazzal,
Muhannad Ismail Mahdi, Muhammad Saadat, Ribhi Haddad, Wadi Haddad, Abu
Amal, Khalil al-Wazir, Fathi al-Shiqaqi, Abu Ali Mustafa, and to all
the martyrs of our Palestinian people and Arab Nation.  The banner
will never fall and the intifada and resistance will continue until
the last Israeli soldier has been expelled from the soil of our
country.

****

11 December  2002

Statement by the founder, Comrade Dr. George Habash on
the 35th Anniversary of the Launch of the Popular
Front for the Liberation of Palestine.

I come before you on the occasion of the 35th Anniversary of the
launch of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, a
patriotic, democratic, and progressive detachment that has, with its
long struggle, written the finest verses of heroism, sacrifice, and
vigor.  Over the course of its three and a half decades of struggle,
it has affirmed its resolve to cling to the legitimate rights of the
Palestinian people while displaying the greatest determination to
continue the intifada and resistance struggle until victory and the
return [of exiled Palestinians].

I address you on this glorious occasion and send you and to the people
of the intifada my truest, warmest, most heartfelt greetings - to you
and to the heroic activists, to all the patriots, free people and
progressives in our Arab Nation and the world.  In particular, I greet
our militant comrade, the General Secretary of the Popular Front Ahmad
Saadat who languishes with his beloved comrades in a prison of the
Palestine Authority in Jericho under Anglo-American supervision and
control.  I say to you today with the inspiration of this occasion
that the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine will continue
to have a free will, and a free resolve that cannot be broken.  It
will continue its militant march until victory and liberation.  The
difficulties linked to the imprisonment of the General Secretary and
his deputy and of dozens of leaders and hundreds of cadres and
members, and the sacrifices of one constellation of martyrs after
another, are finally destined to increase the Front¹s firmness and
strength.

Heroic masses of our people, the anniversary of the launch of the PFLP
comes this year in the shadow of gathering challenges on many levels,
and of the increase and worsening of the threats against many quarters
from the circle of American-Zionist aggression against the Palestinian
people and their glorious intifada, and against the steadfast, noble
Iraqi people.  This is occurring in the shadow of unlimited political,
financial, and military support by American imperialism to the Zionist
enemy, and in the shadow of its great and increasing pressures upon
the official Arab regimes in the framework of what it calls a battle
against terrorism.  Here we must say, unfortunately, that American
political pressure has found fertile ground in the Arab world because
of the state of impotence in which the official Arab regimes find
themselves.  I am certain that if America succeeds in waging its
treacherous aggression against noble Iraq that this aggression will
not stop until it has seized total control over Iraq's oil and the oil
of the entire region, until it has subjugated the whole Arab Nation,
suppressed the Palestinian people's intifada, and aborted the whole
effort at Arab revival.  It will reinforce the Zionist deluge of the
region economically and culturally, enabling the further imposition of
its hegemony throughout the region.

Here the legitimate question arises, What will Sharon do?  Will he
implement the plans to ³transfer² the Palestinians out of
Palestine? Will he implement the ³Road Map² that is based on the
political vision of George Bush and has received the blessings of the
Quadripartite Committee and internationally?  Or what?  Or will he
simply return to the long-term "temporary plan" that is based on
establishing the facade of a Palestinian state on 40 percent of the
West Bank and 75 percent of the Gaza Strip according to purely
Sharonist specifications and criteria, and without the remotest
connection to the true rights, interests, and goals of the Palestinian
people?  Whichever path he takes, the plans of Sharon will not
succeed.  I say this, deeply understanding that the current balance of
forces is overwhelmingly in favor of the enemy camp.  But Palestinian
steadfastness backed by the Arab National depths will enable the
intifada and the resistance struggle to attain the goals of freedom
and independence. Therefore, there is no alternative to the
continuation of the intifada and resistance.  They lift the
Palestinian national liberation struggle upwards.  They must return to
their true course and true identity.

Here I appeal to all leaders of groups dedicated to patriotic action,
and affirm to them the need to understand that for the intifada to
attain its supreme national goals, it must fly on two wings ­ one wing
of escalating the resistance struggle against the occupation and the
other wing of putting the Palestinian house in order.  The
responsibility here falls especially on our brothers in Fateh and on
their militant and mujahid vanguard to stand with others in living up
to this revolutionary national task, to address the need to regin in
destructive criticism of the intifada, to reject any inclination to
seek harmony with American-Israeli plans.  We are in favor of the kind
of constructive criticism that promotes national unity and paves the
way toward freedom and independence.

The current Palestinian political situation, in spite of all its
difficulties and complications, demands that we take a serious look at
the factors that urge us to surrender, at the calls of frustration
that urge us to give up in despair.  These arise from divisions and
splits within the Palestinian condition as a result of the intensity
of the unjust war being waged against the masses of our people.  We
must understand that the American Administration is structurally
afflicted with the madness of being the greatest (most powerful)
empire, and this affliction gives shape to all of the many forms of
American imperialism.  The events of 11 September served simply to
increase the barbarism of the current American administration and to
increase the extent to which its policy coincides with the policy of
the terrorist, racist Zionist entity, with the purpose to rationalize
a strike against Iraq and the intifada.  Because of this, the region
faces tempestuous political and military storms that could strike at
the end of this current winter season or the beginning of next
spring.  They bring with them enormous and dangerous demands.  It is
therefore incumbent upon the forces and organizations of the
Palestinian movement to undertake a comprehensive, bold, and critical
review of the current stage of the Palestinian national struggle by
way of a comprehensive national dialogue. A strategy is needed for the
resistance.  The current unity of the forces in the field must be
deepened and reinforced.

The reality of the current international situation in the shadow of
American terror shows that there can be no protection for Arab
interests, and neither can occupied territories be won back unless the
solidarity of the Arab peoples with the intifada is redoubled to
counteract America¹s arrogance, steeped in its lust for power and
appetite for tyranny.  All the vital and noble forces in this Arab
Nation, with their different orientations and political and
ideological inspirations, are called on to take up this role.

Honor cannot be protected, rights cannot be defended, and the future
cannot be built unless we understand how to confront the challenges
and demands of the present.  I believe that these fundamentally can be
attained by our unity, the source of our strength, and by coordinating
our efforts and seriously cooperating with all the militants,
progressives, and honorable people around the world.

Finally, I am deeply convinced that the American-Zionist policy will
never succeed in falsifying the realities of Arab geography and
history.  The Palestinian, who has resisted the Zionist enterprise for
more than a century, and has resisted Israelization for 54 years
inside the borders of the part of Palestine occupied in 1948, will
never give up his national dreams, his goals of return and
self-determination.

On this glorious anniversary, I extend my profound greetings to the
prisoners in the jails of the Zionist occupation, esteeming their
sufferings, sacrifices, and tortures and those of their loved ones,
knowing that they are the heroes of freedom and independence.

I extend my greetings to the mothers and families of the martyrs and
the injured from whose wounds blood has flowed on the path of freedom
and independence.

Dr. George Habash,
Founder of the Arab Nationalists' Movement, and of the
Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine.

KOMINFORM
P.O. Box 66
00841 Helsinki
Phone +358-40-7177941