Haines;

Unfortunately, there's a lot of complications here. The sad fact is
that scientists really have no idea what causation is (or to be more
accurate, there's a wide range of views that are incompatible and no
one of them do people generally find acceptable).

my comment:

It's not so much the "fact" that is "sad" but more the scientists who you are
acquainted with since  Causation and cause are concepts quite simply defined
and explained and understood by society everywhere!   Remember that by even
your own admittance we are living in a materialist  thinking world.

Haines:

This has led me to
shift the basis of explanation from causal "necessity" to a noncausal
relation of processes that enabling rather than imposing or
determining.

my comment:

Did you make up the word "noncausal"  because I couldn't find it in any
dictionary, collegiate or otherwise?  But I will guess that it means without
cause.  So, I gather that you prefer  the non causal process because it enables
you to explain things that would otherwise impose on you to determine its
cause.    And then you go on to charge the great scientist Darwin with
complicity in this absurdity!

Haianes:

This approach is also discussed in the natural sciences,
and is understood as drawing upon the Darwinian paradigm, but it is
much less discussed in the social sciences.  From this standpoint,
"explanation" is limited to a modest role. It can explain why
something is possible, why it is likely and what drives it, but not
why an empirically specific outcome is necessary (again, Darwinian
evolution is a good example).

my comment:

"an empirically specific outcome"  like everything else, can be Determined
[please forgive me] with time..... "for everything is knowable"  and we would
not be condemned to hell for eating of the tree of knowledge.  Why certain
outcomes in a process are necessary can be opened to all types of philosophical
interpretations since everyone is entitled to an opinion, but most people,
especially the proletariat, prefer order in their understanding of nature,
despite the contradictions,  and would not put up with aprioritic [yes, I made
the word up] ramblings.

Scientists understand and KNOW, [the concept has been substantiated] why
phenomena in nature is necessary.   Do you understand why anything is
necessary?  I'm confident that you'll write back and claim that you do!

Haines:

> "Thus Feuerbach recognises objective law in nature and objective
> causality, which are reflected only with approximate fidelity by
> human ideas of order, law and so forth. With Feuerbach the
> recognition of objective law in nature is inseparably connected with
> the recognition of the objective reality of the external world, of
> objects, bodies, things, reflected by our mind. Feuerbach’s views
> are consistently materialistic. All other views, or rather, any
> other philosophical line on the question of causality, the denial of
> objective law, causality and necessity in nature, are justly
> regarded by Feuerbach as belonging to the fideist trend. "

I would have skipped over this point except that it nicely brings out
an issue. Feuerbach's notions are mid-19th century and are simply
unacceptable in terms of current science.

my comment:

Do you mean the non-causual  "terms of current science"?  Do current scientist
now believe that there is no cause for current effects because some so called
philosophers can't understand the necessity in it?

Haines:

This statement could be
true, and for the moment let us assume that it is true. So what is one
to do? Stick with Feuerbach and remain out of touch with current
knowledge? Abandon Feuerbach and make sure current knowledge serves
working-class liberation? I have chosen the latter path. Have you
chosen the former?

my comment:

Lenin wrote a whole book on this matter.... you must know it well....

http://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1908/mec/index.htm

Lenin agrees with Feuerbach on this the question of causality.  And I would
certainly adopt the materialist approach of understanding the necessary cause
and necessary effects of social phenomena in our relations with capital so that
we may correctly an in accord with the objective and subjective conditions
tackle the CAUSE for the emancipation of labor so that we may attain the
EFFECT  that we NEED.   You say that you wouldn't.

Haines:

I did not say "instant" value, but "potential" value. Your example
looses me. I hire a kid to go to the store. If the kid accepts my
nickel, he is obliged to go there. This is a fair exchange (in
principle, anyway, a zero-sum game), and no new value is created, but
merely an exchange of comparable values.

my comment:

There is no new value created, it is true, to the candy bar, but the kid would
have had to cross the street, wait his turn at the counter, get slapped by a
bully, and 15 minutes later returned to you with the candy bar.  You paid him a
nickel but the boy now feels he's entitled to a dollar..... the same price as
the candy bar.   You call the nickel an exchange of comparable values because
the boy had agree prior to it.   Like minimum wage is an exchange of comparable
value to you, perhaps.   That the kid had calculated that a nickel for his time
was a fair exchange he now realizes that he was wrong and that you manipulated
him to believe that it was.

Haines:

No one is
manipulating anyone here, but it is a contract in which both parties
have disposition over something of value, the kid his time and I
my nickel. What this simply describes is a sphere of exchange, not
a sphere of production.

my comment:

No, it is not production...... but have you ever been had by someone after
agreeing to an exchange deal?    I chose the kid as an example because a
manipulative  adult can profit off him  advantageously.   Let say that it was
me who you had asked to go to the store because you were fat and lazy and
needed the candy bar badly.  Now I know this and demand of you two dollars
[more than the candy is worth]  for the labor which you are willing to pay
because there's no kid around.  Now, who's manipulating who?   And further
more,  if you were to complain too much over the charge..... I may just raise
the price...... you know...... supply and demand.

Haianes:

generally, one is paid a fair wage in terms of the labor
market. The surplus value that your labor creates and which is
actualized by the market sale of the commodity you create, is
constrained by the regime of private property. To get at the heart of
the matter, the whole affair is quite fair in regard to you as an
individual worker, but quite unfair in regard you as a social being.

my comment:

Well, sir,  you would make a bad communist.   The very opposite of your remark
is why we're all fighting capitalism.   Even if the capitalist were to pay us
well for our subsistence, we would still be exploited.  But that is not the
case anymore for mostly everyone.... besides being exploited at the work
place..... [that is if you subscribe to Marx theory of surplus value] we are
exploited by the landlord, the consumer markets, and the speculators.
Trillions of our tax money go to the speculators and now the governments are
cutting away at our resources to make up for the debt.   It is unfair to us as
a social being as it is unfair to us as an individual worker.

f580

--- On Thu, 3/4/10, Haines Brown KB1GRM ET1 <bro...@historicalmaterialism.info>