On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 10:33:50AM -0500, waistli...@aol.com wrote:

> New Description of feudalism
> Current definition under construction.
>
> II. Feudalism: pre-industrial agrarian society where the primary form of
> wealth is land property. The two basic classes defining this system are the
> serfs form of working class, and the aristocracy or landlord class. There
> are  other groupings of small producers commodity producers in society but
> they do  not determine that chief characteristics of the system. The form of
> the working  class - (servitude of the serf), and his relationship in this
> system of landed  property defines this mode of production. The productive
> forces of feudal  society are based on deploying the technology of handicraft
> and manufacture.  Localized manual labor provided the economic base for
> feudalism.
>
> The serfs are obligated to work the land and hand over a part of the
> produce to their “lords“ and “masters” or land owner. Since the amount of the
>
> produce given to the lords were laid down by custom, the serf knew in
> advance  that raising their level of productivity would directly improve the
> lives
> of  their family. The serf form of servitude provides self motivation of
> this class  for the growth of this manual labor system and an impulse to
> raise
> the  productivity of labor. The class struggle of the two basic classes of
> the feudal  system drives the system through its various stages of
> development. This essence  of this class struggle is over shares of the
> social
> product and for a "more  understanding and noble lord and master." .
>
> Several development caused the break up and finally the overthrow of  the
> feudal system. The gradual transition in the primary form of wealth from
> land to gold begins the break up of feudalism. With the growth of commerce,
> manufacture, free laborers, capital and the scientific revolution, new
> classes
>  grow up around the new productive forces and enter into antagonism with
> the  feudal system. These new classes voice new demands for individual
> freedom
> and  rights unattainable within the old feudal system of privilege, social
> rating and  ritual heritage. An epoch of social revolution opened.

I'm kinda here clearing out some old messages.

I've already commented on feudalism, and I hestitate to say much more
because it is a concept I'll be working on before too long and I
hesitate to put my foot in the doo-doo at this point.

One concern is a unilineal notion of stages which _might_ suggest (in
most peoples' minds it clearly does suggest, but not my own) that a
feudal state must follow upon some kind of ancient stage (such as
slavery or AMP) and is a precondition to capitalism. Earlier today I
brought up ceteris paribus, and this is a case where it seems very
relevant. For example, if we have an ancient mode of production
(however we define it other than as being feudal), and if, say, under
the impact of globalization or imperialism, it jumps to capitalism
without clearly going through a feudal stage, we can argue around that
problem by appealing to the intervening contingency. So I don't see
this as a big concern.

Another issue is if we define it as a constant conjuncture of certain
empirically-defined entities, such as the traditional Eurocentric
definition, we immediate get into trouble, and I think I've already
touched on this a bit. But a structuralist view that underplays
empirical specifics gets into trouble as well (such as Althusser's
falling into disfavor). It seems obvious to me that somehow we have to
bring concrete particulars and structure as aspects of one thing, and
this gets me back my obsession with process.

I think you hinted before something like this by alluding to different
kinds of relations of production, and this seems positive as long as
those relations are tied intimately with empirical specifics, such as
the development of productive forces. I don't think this quite
solves the problem, but seems the right direction.

All these are preliminary comments, and so let me turn to your
definition.

I don't know about "pre-industrial". This word industry is ambiguous,
for pre-capitalist societies had industries. I think some
qualification is needed such as pre-capitalist industrial societies.

I'm also not comfortable with the "agrarian" part. There's at least a
lot of talk about nomadic-pastoral feudalism, and so one has to decide
either that they really are not feudal, or the particular type of
production is irrelevant to the feudal definition. The US was an
agrarian society before, say, 1870, and yet was not feudal.

Now "serfs" is a troublesome word. In some parts of Europe,
free peasants were the majority; in others, servile status really had no
particular significance. That is, a serf could well have effective
control over "his" means of production, even though his ancestors
centuries before had "borrowed" them from a lord. Another complication
was that in might be called the "early middle ages" in Europe, a very
significant increase in agricultural productivity reduced the relative
value of the dues owed to one's lord, so that the dues in some cases
were virtually symbolic (no exploitation), or in others the lord
cooked up other means to extract a surplus, which being unsanctioned
in custom, aroused the peasants to resist, even militarily. One reason
for the crusades was that the lords weren't getting out of the
peasantry what they would like and met stiff resistance. I mention
this not to challenge your specific generalizations, but illustrate
how complicated things can get if we rely on empirical generalization.
Also, the notion of "serf" is embedded in conditions specific to
Europe, where there had been slavery in the past (the word serf in
origin means "slave"), but it is possible that feudal societies
emerged from other roots. Without getting into specifics, the notion
of "slave society" has probably been limited to just a few places like
the ancient Mediterranean and India, and arguably are just one type of
an "ancient mode of production". Complicated.

Besides "serfs" possibly being peculiar to just portions of Europe, I
have a problem calling them a part of the "working class". They were
closer to petit bourgeosie (and acted like it), for they possessed the
means of production and relied on their private manipulation of those
means to develop. While one can find a few wage-earning workers in any
society, they seem exceptional rather than typical in feudal society.
In the Benedictine Rule, which contributed greatly to the ideology of
Europe's medieval period, it said the monk was like a workman, whose
virtues were his tools and salvation his wages. It choose an
insignificant social group to identify the situation of a monk because
a workman did not own means of production and so could not develop on
his own; the monk could not look to his personal resources to achieve
salvation.

I don't understand your apparent reduction of productive forces to
handicraft technology. Surely the agriculural forces of production
were far more important. Also, while labor was localized for sure, the
word "manual" makes me uncomfortable. Are we inclined to speak of the
peasant working the soil as "manual labor"? I'm not sure.

In the second paragraph, why the quotes around lord and master? The
word "lord" was a generic term that refered to the person to whom you
had a hereditary obligation, and was primarily economic at the lower
level of society and political at the upper (although there's plenty
of exceptions to this). But things are complicated. In places, an
aristocrat could be more powerful than a peasant, and in others, a
non-free serf could be a very powerful person indeed. While feudal
society in Europe was clearly a hierarchical society, it was probably
hierarchical in a different sense that we would mean today. Social
cleavages corresponding to the hierarchy came on late in feudal
Europe. The French king for quite a few centuries had to worry about
his chickens, and in Montaillou we have a story about the long term
affair going on between a peasant (actually pastoralist) and the local
count's wife. The hiearchy seems more a traditional set of mutual
provite obligations, perhaps much as we say today that a father has
obligations to his children, that any precise ranking of power or
status. Again, I don't intend to nitpick your generalization, but only
illustrate that we look at realities rather than the ideal type of
feudalism prevailing in Europe until, say, WWII, we get a quite
different picture.

Your point that class struggle drove the feudal system through its
phases of development worries me. What "phases" are we talking about?
I think probably what you are getting at is that class struggle
deepened the feudal contradictions. For exaple, although this is a
very rough generalization, one could say that the secure possession of
petty property by the peasantry drove the aristocrat to develop by
political means. The aristocrat usually has is own farm (his reserve)
to ensure his social reproduction, but to develop, he had to crack
some heads. For example, dragging along an hieress on the crusade so
wait until she reached marriage age and by forcing marriage upon her
you'd inherit her wealth. A good example is Eleanor of Aquitaine who
gave up on the French king on the crusade, besides some screwing
around, ended dumping him as useless. But then she had to
skuttle about to avoid being grabbed by some greedy aristocratic
bachelor to wanted her property, and so to get peace she
married herself off to a petty king, Henry of England, so she could
enjoy her enormous wealth back on the continent. This of course ended
by the English king getting a big chunk of the continent, which was
difficult to defend, and we end up to Jeanne d'Arc. And so the story
goes. If you ran into her on the street (entirely possible in feudal
society where there were no "gated communities" she would look act and
talk more or less like everyone else. I imagine, though, she took care
to hire a body guard, who seeing that you were not an aristocrat would
take little notice of you as no threat.

Oh well.

Back to my point, there may have been "phases", but they are not
obvious. Historians sense there's a difference between early middle
ages, high middle ages, and late feudalism, which is called
"Renaissance". I think this periodization does have some basis, but
there's no consensus just what it is. Henry Adams, of US aristocratic
fame, wrote a book called St. Michael and Chartres, in which he tried
to capture the profound shift from one phase to another in the 11th
century, as manifested in architectural stylistic change. But unless
and until we can explain these periodic changes in terms of deepening
contradictions, I think the subject is best avoided. Also, of course,
we are talking about just certain areas in Europe, not a universal
state of feudalism the world over.

I can't resist a little hint here: the forces of agriculural
production seems to have jumped dramatically at the end of the ancient
Mediterranean world, and this would imply the peasant producer would
be able to socially reproduce on his own terms and develop to a
degree, which drove the aristoracy into what amounts to bank robbing
in order to develop. The jousts, which are the subject of a lot of
romantic literature and some Hollywood epics, were at bottem a way to
make money or get title to land. And there was no honor involved. You
would bribe one of your peasanmts to drop out of a tree onto your
enemy when he was unexpecting, and stick a shive into his ribs.

Oh well, I wander again. See why I hesitated to deal with feudalism?
The more you get familiar with things, the more it becomes
overwhelmingly complicated ;-)

Your point about "more understanding" looses me.

I have no serious problems with your last paragraph. One problem is
that I know what you mean by talking about a shift to gold, that word
might not be literally accurate. Making "transition in form of wealth"
a historicalk agent to break up a mode of production worries me. I
doubt the so called "scientific revolution" had any signficant effect.
It is usually dated 16-17th century which I'm inclined to see as late
feudal. There were technical developments (guns, printing, etc. which
were important, but mostly we are looking at changes in technology
rather than science. Science until the late in the 19th century was
mostly a hobby of the elite and had little socio-economic impact
(Second Industrial Revolution). Note incidentally, we have been
talking about European history, but for the feudal mode of
production, I don't know that we should be doing that.

Haines