The Marxist-Leninist Daily, online newspaper of the Communist Party of Canada
(Marxist-Leninist) has an excellent editorial on the falsification of history
being raised by the international bourgeioise led by U.S. imperialism. The TML
also had posted some excellent articles on the Katyn Forest not too long ago -
which is an issue the ruling classes are now using in their anti-social
offensive against the communists and the working class. -Josh

http://cpcml.ca/Tmld2010/D40173.htm#1

64th Anniversary of Nuremberg Trials
Oppose the Campaign to Rehabilitate Nazi War Criminals!

This year marks the 64th anniversary of the conclusion of the International
Military Tribunal, the first of the Nuremberg trials. The International
Military Tribunal tried 21 Nazi leaders. The verdicts were delivered on October
1, 1946 and those sentenced to death were executed on October 16, 1946.

The defeat of fascism in 1945 was a high point in the battle of democracy. With
the defeat of Nazi Germany, fascist Italy and Japan by the Allied powers and
the united front of anti-fascist resistance forces led by the Soviet Union, a
world united as one emerged from the victory of the world's people over
fascism. A new norm of democracy was established in which democracy, to be true
to itself, could not permit the existence of fascism.

The Allied leaders had concluded at the Moscow and Yalta Conferences that the
Nazi war criminals had to be held responsible and punished for their crimes. At
the Yalta Conference held in February 1945, Churchill, Roosevelt and Stalin
agreed that German militarism and Nazism must be destroyed and not permitted to
rise again.

The Nuremberg principles affirmed that heads of state and other political
leaders as well as the military leaders must be held accountable and punished
for crimes of aggression, breaking the peace and crimes against humanity.
Nuremberg also established that "following orders" was not a defence against
charges of war crimes.

>From the victory of the world's peoples in defeating fascism emerged the
>demand "Never Again!" -- never again must fascism be permitted to rise! To
>this end, aggression was recognized as the supreme international crime and
>unreserved opposition to aggression as the means to achieve peace. The right
>of nations to self-determination was recognized by the United Nations by
>recognizing the equality of nations big and small and that the threat or use
>of force against any state was prohibited. Of course, these principles were
>violated by the U.S. and other big powers under its influence starting with
>the attack against Korea sanctioned under the UN flag. Nonetheless, the
>Nuremberg trials following the Second World War established the principles of
>international law which were reflected in the Charter of the United Nations.

Today, 64 years after the conclusion of the main trial at Nuremberg, the U.S.
and its allies including Canada are going all out to smash all the conclusions
of Nuremberg. A campaign to rehabilitate Nazi war criminals is being carried
out in Europe, the U.S. and Canada to downgrade and even discredit and
criminalize the heroic resistance to Nazi invasion and occupation which
inflicted terrible suffering and millions of lives lost, while claiming that
Nazis and Nazi collaborators are "victims of totalitarian communism" who must
have memorials erected to them so that they are placed on pedestals and in
halls of honour. The justification for this attempt to reverse the verdict of
history is that those who committed heinous crimes against the people must
today be exonerated because they were "fighting communism" and this is a sacred
cause.

Meanwhile, in the name of national security the U.S. and its NATO allies
including Canada are conducting wanton wars of aggression, committing crimes
against the peace and war crimes against humanity with impunity. Nazi practices
of using civilians as human shields, justifying torture and renditions to
torture, using police agents to justify fraudulent conspiracy charges to target
"enemies," targetting minorities and criminalizing political opinion and
conscience in the name of national security and values are the new normal. The
U.S., Canada and the big powers in the NATO camp have reversed the verdict of
history that fascism must never again be permitted to rise. The immediate U.S.
aim is to safeguard the rule of their own monopolies and striving for
domination over Europe so as to dominate Asia. Canada has tied itself to this
U.S. war aim so as to benefit the interests of the Canadian financial
oligarchy. In order to achieve this it must criminalize resistance and the
right to self-defence.

Alongside the U.S., the Harper government is actively participating in the
campaign to rehabilitate war criminals and it is pursuing a dangerous agenda of
fascism, militarism and war. Political protest and dissent are being
criminalized and only those who submit to Harper's vision of "Canadian values"
are deemed worthy of "blessings" he deems they are fit to receive.

It must not pass! Resistance to this drive to fascism and war can and must give
rise to a new and modern democracy. Such a democracy must not only build on the
conclusions drawn from the experience of the Second World War by further
enshrining the right to resist, but it must provide the right to be with
guarantees. Only in this way will the people have a say-so in all the crucial
questions of our time, especially the question of determining war and peace.

Canadians are faced with the historic task of replacing a government of war,
militarism and fascism with an anti-war government. Such a government must
uphold the right to be of all peoples and defend their right to establish their
societies based on their own decisions and consistent with their own way of
life and thought material. This would make Canada a force for peace in the
world.
Notes

The Nuremberg Tribunal concluded that aggression was the supreme international
crime. The indictments on which the top Nazis were tried and convicted were as
follows:

1: "Conspiracy to wage aggressive war," addressed crimes committed before the
war began.
2. "Waging an aggressive war (or "crimes against peace"), addressed the
undertaking of war in violation of international treaties and assurances.
3. "War crimes," addressed more traditional violations of the laws of war such
as the killing or mistreatment of prisoners of war and the use of outlawed
weapons.
4. "Crimes against humanity," addressed crimes committed against Jews, Roma,
national minorities, the physically and mentally disabled, civilians in
occupied countries and other persons.

Other articles in this issue of TML:

Valkyrie: Converging Nazi War Criminals into Knights in Shining Armour
http://cpcml.ca/Tmld2010/D40173.htm#2

How the U.S. Imperialists Saved the Nazi Industrialists
http://cpcml.ca/Tmld2010/D40173.htm#3

FYI: Plans of German Industrialists to Engage in Underground Activity After
Germany's Defeat
http://cpcml.ca/Tmld2010/D40173.htm#4