http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,353354,00.html
>From Cuba to Congo, dream to disaster for Che Guevara

Below: the revolutionary leader describes his African war in exclusive
extracts from his previously unpublished diary
Read the extracts from Che Guevara's diary

Saturday August 12, 2000

In 1965 Che Guevara embarked on the most dramatic of his several ambitious
attempts to change the world, writes Victoria Brittain.
Undercover, known only as "Tatu" (number three in swahili), the 37-year-old
led a group of Cuban guerrillas into eastern Congo . There, several
rebellions had begun, invoking the radical name and ideas of Patrice
Lumumba, the prime minister at independence who had been killed in 1961,
probably by Belgians, certainly on the orders of the United States.

Few people realised in the mid 1960s how important the Congo's client
government was to be to Washington, and how deeply the CIA was involved in
making sure that the men Guevara was working with would fail.

Guevara's personal account of this catastrophic venture lay under wraps in
Havana for thirty years, and is only now being published in full.

In the 1970s and 80s, when the cold war raged in Africa, and Cuban soldiers,
doctors and teachers stood between utter failure and relative success in
countries such as Angola and Ethiopia, this document would have been a gift
to Cuba's enemies, notably in the US, which was working tirelessly to bring
down such leftwing regimes.

Guevara's version of events has an honesty which has long since gone out of
fashion. His diary gives an intimate picture of the harsh deprivations of
the world of all guerrilla movements: the uncertainties, the mind-torturing
moral doubts, the frustrations of lack of funds and the in-fighting.

All this will make salutary reading for the next generation of foreign
radicals who, for the past four years, have been trying to change the course
of Congolese history. The story today is an astonishing mirror of what
Guevara saw: a rebel movement fractured into three parts, as ready to fight
each other as to take on the army of the weak central government in
Kinshasa, and dependent on outsiders to function at all.

And, as in Guevara's time, the central government is only held in power by
the intervention of outsiders. But, in these post-cold war times, these
outsiders are Africans, not westerners. Guevara's heirs have come from
Rwanda, Uganda and Angola and they are living with the same realities
described by Guevara - and have even found one of the old rebel leaders
Guevara did not think too highly of: Laurent Kabila, now on the other side
as president of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

What follows are three extracts from Guevara's diary:

This is the history of a failure. It descends into anecdotic detail, as one
would expect in episodes from a war, but this is blended with reflections
and critical analysis. For in my view, any importance the story might have
lies in the fact that it allows the experiences to be extracted for the use
of other revolutionary movements.

Victory is a great source of positive experiences, but so is defeat,
especially if the unusual circumstances surrounding the incident are taken
into account: the actors and informants are foreigners who went to risk
their lives in an unknown land where people spoke a different language and
were linked to them only by ties of proletarian internationalism, so that a
method not practised in modern wars of liberation was thereby inaugurated.

These notes will be published some time after they were dictated, and it may
be that the author will no longer be able to take responsibility for what is
said in them.

More correctly, this is the history of a decomposition. When we arrived on
Congolese soil, the revolution was in a period of reflux; then a number of
incidents occurred which brought about its final regression, at this time
and place at least, in the immense field of struggle that is the Congo.

The most interesting aspect here is not the story of the decomposition of
the Congolese revolution, whose causes and key features are too profound to
be all encompassed from my particular vantage point, but rather the
decomposition of our own fighting morale, since the experience we
inaugurated should not go to waste and the initiative of the International
Proletarian Army should not die at the first failure. It is essential to
analyse in depth the problems that are posed, and to find a solution to
them. A good battlefield instructor does more for the revolution than one
who teaches a large number of raw recruits in a context of peace...

The idea that guided us was to ensure that men experienced in liberation
battles (and subsequently in the struggle with reactionary forces) fought
alongside men without experience, and thereby bring about what we called the
"Cubanisation" of the Congolese. It will be seen that the effect was the
exact opposite, in that a "Congolisation" of the Cubans took place over a
period of time. In speaking of Congolisation, we had in mind the series of
habits and attitudes to the revolution that characterised the Congolese
soldier at those moments of the struggle. This does not imply any derogatory
view about the Congolese people, but it does about the soldiers at that
time. In the course of the story, an attempt will be made to explain why
those fighters had such negative traits.

Letter to Castro

A personal letter written by Che Guevara to Fidel Castro in October 1965
shows the strength of trust between the two men, despite Guevara having left
Cuba. Only to Castro could Guevara so openly express his serious doubts
about the Congo project, given the competition between rival leaders in
different areas.

Congo, 5/10/65

Dear Fidel

I received your letter, which has aroused contradictory feelings in me - for
in the name of proletarian internationalism, we are committing mistakes that
may prove very costly. I am also personally worried that, either because I
have failed to write with sufficient seriousness or because you do not fully
understand me, I may be thought to be suffering from the terrible disease of
groundless pessimism.

When your Greek gift [Emilio Aragones, a member of the Cuban central
committee] arrived here, he told me that one of my letters had given the
impression of a condemned gladiator, and the [Cuban health] minister [Jose
Ramon Machado Ventura], in passing on your optimistic message, confirmed the
opinion that you were forming.

You will be able to speak at length with the bearer of this letter who will
tell you his firsthand impressions after visiting much of the front; for
this reason I will dispense with anecdotes. I will just say to you that,
according to people close to me here, I have lost my reputation for
objectivity by maintaining a groundless optimism in the face of the actual
situation. I can assure you that were it not for me, this fine dream would
have collapsed with catastrophe all around.

In my previous letters, I asked to be sent not many people but cadres; there
is no real lack of arms here (except for special weapons) - indeed there are
too many armed men; what is lacking are soldiers. I especially warned that
no more money should be given out unless it was with a dropper and after
many requests. None of what I said has been heeded, and fantastic plans have
been made which threaten to discredit us internationally and may land me in
a very difficult position.

I shall now explain to you.

Soumialot [Gaston Soumialot, president of the Supreme Council of the
Revolution] and his comrades have been leading you all right up the garden
path. It would be tedious to list the huge number of lies they have spun.

There are two zones where something of an organised revolution exists - the
one where we ourselves are, and part of Kasai province (the great unknown
quantity) where Mulele [Pierre Mulele, former minister under Lumumba and the
first leader to take up arms] is based.

In the rest of the country there are bands living in the forest, not
connected to one another; they lost everything without a fight, as they lost
Stanleyville without a fight. More serious than this, however, is the way in
which the groups in this area (the only one with contacts to the outside)
relate to one another.

The dissensions between Kabila [then second vice-president of the Supreme
Council of the Revolution and head of the eastern front where Guevara was]
and Soumialot are becoming more serious all the time, and are used as a
pretext to keep handing towns over without a fight. I know Kabila well
enough not to have any illusions about him. I cannot say the same about
Soumialot, but I have some indications such as the string of lies he has
been feeding you, the fact that he does not deign to come to these
godforsaken parts, his frequent bouts of drunkenness in Dar es Salaam, where
he lives in the best hotels, and the kind of people he has as allies here
against the other group.

Recently a group from the Tshombist [pro-government] army landed, in the
Baraka area (where a major-general loyal to Soumialot has no fewer than a
thousand armed men) and captured this strategically important place almost
without a fight. Now they are arguing about who was to blame - those who did
not put up a fight, or those at the lake who did not send enough ammunition.
The fact is that they shamelessly ran away, ditching in the open a 75mm
recoilless gun and two 82 mortars; all the men assigned to these weapons
have disappeared, and now they are asking me for Cubans to get them back
from wherever they are (no one quite knows where) and to use them in battle.

Nor are they doing anything to defend Fizi, 36km from here; they don't want
to dig trenches on the only access road through the mountains. This will
give you a faint idea of the situation. As for the need to choose men well
rather than send me large numbers, you and the commissar assure me that the
men here are good; I'm sure most of them are - otherwise they'd have quit
long ago. But that's not the point. You have to be really well tempered to
put up with the things that happen here. It's not good men but supermen that
are needed...

And there are still my 200; believe me, they would do more harm than good at
the present time - unless we decide once and for all to fight alone, in
which case we'll need a division and we'll have to see how many the enemy
put up against us. Maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration; maybe a battalion
would be enough to get back to the frontiers we had when we arrived here and
to threaten Albertville.

But numbers are not what matters; we can't liberate by ourselves a country
that does not want to fight; you've got to create a fighting spirit and look
for soldiers with the torch of Diogenes and the patience of Job - a task
that becomes more difficult, the more shits there are doing things along the
way.

The business with the money is what hurts me most, after all the warnings I
gave. At the height of my "spending spree" and only after they had kicked up
a lot of fuss, I undertook to supply one front (the most important one) on
condition that I would direct the struggle and form a special mixed column
under my direct command, in accordance with the strategy that I outlined and
communicated to you.

With a very heavy heart, I calculated that it would require $5,000 a month.
Now I learn that a sum 20 times higher is given to people who pass through
just once, so that they can live well in all the capitals of the African
world, with no allowance for the fact that they receive free board and
lodging and often their travel costs from the main progressive countries.
Not a cent will reach a wretched front where the peasants suffer every
misery you can imagine, including the rapaciousness of their own protectors;
nor will anything get through to the poor devils stuck In Sudan. (Whisky and
women are not on the list of expenses covered by friendly governments, and
they cost a lot if you want quality.)

Finally, 50 doctors will give the liberated area of the Congo an enviable
proportion of one per thousand inhabitants - a level surpassed only by the
USSR, the United States and two or three of the most advanced countries in
the world. But no allowance is made for the fact that here they are
distributed according to political preference, without a trace of public
health organisation. Instead of such gigantism, it would be better to send a
contingent of revolutionary doctors and to increase it as I request, along
with highly practical nurses of a similar kind.

As the attached map sums up the military situation, I shall limit myself to
a few recommendations that I would ask you all to consider objectively:
forget all the men in charge of phantom groups; train up to a hundred cadres
(not necessarily all blacks)... As for weapons: the new bazooka, percussion
caps with their own power supply, a few R-4s and nothing else for the
moment; forget about rifles, which won't solve anything unless they are
electronic. Our mortars must be in Tanzania, and with those plus a new
complement of men to operate them we would have more than enough for now.
Forget about Burundi and tactfully discuss the question of the launches.
(Don't forget that Tanzania is an independent country and we've got to play
it fair there, leaving aside the little problem I caused.)

Send the mechanics as soon as possible, as well as someone who can steer
across the lake reasonably safely; that has been discussed and Tanzania has
agreed. Leave me to handle the problem of the doctors, which I will do by
giving some of them to Tanzania. Don't make the mistake again of dishing out
money like that; for they cling to me when they feel hard up and certainly
won't pay me any attention if the money is flowing freely. Trust my judgment
a little and don't go by appearances. Shake the representatives into giving
truthful information, because they are not capable of figuring things out
and present utopian pictures which have nothing to do with reality.

I have tried to be explicit and objective, synthetic and truthful. Do you
believe me?

Warm greetings ...

Evacuation

By November 1965 Guevara's dream had collapsed against the reality of the
Congolese forces' complete incompetence and lack of realism. Grimly he had
asked Havana for help to pull out his men, though he toyed with the idea of
staying on as a lone exemplar of revolutionary duty.

There was an almost complete disintegration of the troops; some party
members even proposed to hold a meeting to ask me to pull out. I was
extremely sharp in my replies, warning that I would not accept any such
demand or any meeting of that kind and would treat it as treachery, and that
I would brand as cowardice even any act of allowing such proposals to
circulate. I still had a remnant of authority which kept some degree of
cohesion among the Cubans; that was all. But much worse things were
happening on the Congolese side.

This paragraph will give some idea of the limbo in which the revolution was
then sailing. I will take the liberty of reproducing for you the
aspirations, wishes and proposals of the whole population in the Fizi
region.

1. The people demand that the military power of our revolution should be
entrusted to the friendly forces who are coming to help us, until the
country is stabilised.

2. The people request intensive aid from friendly countries, consisting of:

a) military operations, personnel, weapons, equipment, money, etc;

b) technical assistance, engineers, various kinds of technicians, doctors,
etc;

c) social assistance, teachers, traders, industrialists.

At 2.30pm we made contact with [the Tanzanian port of] Kigoma. Our message
read: Changa: [the Cuban captain responsible for transporting supplies and
messages] Total men to evacuate less than 200, will be more difficult each
day that passes. We are at Sele, 10 or 15km south of Kibamba.

And I received the longed-for reply.

Tatu: The crossing is set for tonight. Yesterday the commissioner did not
let us cross.

The men were euphoric. I spoke with Masengo [the chief of staff of the
eastern front] and suggested leaving from that very point at night. As there
were a lot of Congolese, the general staff held a meeting at which it was
decided that one commander would remain in the Congo with his men and we and
the various leaders would evacuate; the troops who were originally from that
area would remain there; they would not be told of our intention to withdraw
but would be sent on various pretexts to the nearby village.

One of the little boats we still had to ply between various points on the
lake arrived and took a large number of the Congolese, but those who were
part of our force smelt a rat and wanted to stay. I ordered a selection to
be made of those who had conducted themselves best up to that point, so that
they would be taken across as Cubans.

For me it was a critical situation. Two men who had comprehensively
fulfilled their mission would now be left behind unless they made their way
back within a few hours. The full weight of calumnies - both inside and
outside the Congo -would fall upon us as soon as we left. My troops were a
mixed bunch, and my investigations suggested that I could extract up to 20
to follow me, this time with knitted brows. And then what would I do? All
the leaders were pulling out, the peasants were displaying ever greater
hostility towards us. But I was deeply pained at the thought of simply
departing as we had come, leaving behind defenceless peasants and armed men
whose poor battle sense left them effectively defenceless, defeated and with
a feeling of betrayal.

For me, to stay in the Congo was not a sacrifice - not for a year, or even
for the five years with which I had scared my men. It was part of a concept
of struggle that had fully taken shape in my brain. I could reasonably
expect six or eight men to accompany me without furrowed brows. But the rest
would do it as a duty, either towards me personally, or as a moral duty to
the revolution; I would be sacrificing people who could not muster any
enthusiasm to fight.

In reality, the thought of remaining in the Congo continued to haunt me long
into the night, and perhaps I did not so much take the decision as become
one fugitive more. The way in which the Congolese comrades would view the
evacuation seemed to me degrading; our withdrawal was a mere flight, or
worse, we were accomplices in the deception with which people had been left
on the land.

Moreover, who was I now? I had the feeling that, after my farewell letter to
Fidel, the comrades began to see me as a man from other climes rather
distant from Cuba's specific problems, and I could not bring myself to
demand the final sacrifice of remaining behind. I spent the final hours like
this, alone and perplexed, until the boats eventually put in at two o'clock
in the morning, with a Cuban crew who arrived and set off immediately that
very night.

There were too many people for the boats at that late hour. I set three
o'clock as the last possible hour for departure, since it would be daylight
at 5.30 and we would be in the middle of the lake. Work got under way on
organising the evacuation. The sick went aboard, then the whole of Masengo's
general staff - some 40 men chosen by himself - and finally all the Cubans.
It was a plaintive, inglorious spectacle; I had to chase away men who kept
imploring us to take them too; there was no element of grandeur in this
retreat, no gesture of defiance. The machine-guns were in position, and I
kept the men at the ready, as usual, in case they tried to intimidate us by
attacking from the land. But nothing like that happened. There was just a
lot of grumbling, while the leader of the would-be escapees cursed in time
with the beating of the loose moorings