I have often heard, and frequently use, the term "Christian Zionist" to
describe right wing evangelical Christians who flag wave for Israel. Am I
an outlier in this regard?

Comradely,
John

On Sun, 28 Apr 2024, 13:14 David Walters via groups.io, <david.walters66=
comcast....@groups.io> wrote:

> This could be an interesting discussion. So...who wants to DEFINE what
> "Zionism" is?
>
> I will give it a shot.
>
> In general, and being raised in a very pro-Israel Jewish-American family
> in New York, it depends on the context because the term "Zionism" can break
> down into uselessness. A Zionist as I was growing up was someone who was
> *Jewish-American* and actively supporting, politically defending,
> contributing too, the State of Israel and its existence as a political
> entity. I still use it this way. However, the problem arises when asked "Do
> you support the continued existence of a Jewish homeland in Israel"? Most
> Jewish-American (please note that hyphenated-American thing is MY
> upbringing, not "Jewish" because that would impart a *religious stance*
> that I now totally reject) and I'm not a Jewish-Canadian, or a
> Jewish-Mexican (yes, there are many) or from any other country. I think it
> is probably close to a large majority maybe close to 80 or 90% of
> Jewish-Americans who broadly support the establishment of the State of
> Israel. If you define being a Zionist in that way but *only apply it* to
> Jewish-Americans then *something is quite wrong*. A "Zionist" then could
> be a Christian as many do...far more in absolute numbers than there
> Jewish-Americans in total. But we don't really see or hear people accusing
> Christian defenders of Israel as being "Zionist". So it needs to be
> discussed in a calm manner.
>
> Politically and personally, I would like to use my original definition and
> not the passive "Yes, I support Israel" definition of Zionism. I think
> Zionism is both a program and...and ideology and if we narrow it down this
> way, fewer people are actually true Zionists. I believe now with the campus
> occupations the term is being used far too casually and is causing
> problems. What do folks think?
>
> David

View/Reply Online (#30112): https://groups.io/g/marxmail/message/30112
-=-=-
POSTING RULES & NOTES
#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.
#4 Do not exceed five posts a day.
-=-=-
Group Owner: marxmail+ow...@groups.io