A book available from Martin Silver:

COMITATO NAZIONALE DELLE ONORANZA A PIETRO MASCAGNI NEL PRIMO CENTENARIO
DELL NASCITA Pietro Mascagni: contributi alla conoscenza ella sua opera nel
1o centario della nascita
Livorno NP 1963. good but disbound with covers intact and clean. 692 p. This
imprtant volume is rather seldomly seen. Inspite of its condition it is a
very important source ofmaterial. Nine long articles by Gavazzeni,
Roncaglia, Barnadini-Marzolla, Morini, Boncocorsi, Gualerzi, Arrighi,
Celleti and Gragnani.The last a chronologyof the life and wors of M. 1st
edition. Binding is hb. Book # 004432
Price: US$ 80.00

Homepage of Martin A. Silver, CA, U.S.A.

and it is interesting to note that the Futurists were interested in Pietro:
that in itself is a little odd--From the manifesto of Futurist Musicians
(1912) http://www.unknown.nu/futurism/musicians.html

"Publishers assume protection and power over public taste, and, with the
complicity of the critics, they evoke as example or warning amidst the tears
and general chaos, our alleged Italian monopoly of melody and of bel canto,
and our never sufficiently praised opera, that heavy and suffocating crop of
our nation.

Only Pietro Mascagni, the publishers’ favorite, has had the spirit and power
to rebel against the traditions of art, against publishers and the deceived
and spoilt public. His personal example, first and unique in Italy, has
unmasked the infamy of publishing monopolies and the venality of the
critics. He has hastened the hour of our liberation from commercial czarism
and dilettantism in music; Pietro Mascagni has shown great talent in his
real attempts at innovation in the harmonic and lyrical aspects of opera,
even though he has not yet succeeded in freeing himself from traditional
forms.

The shame and filth that I have denounced in general terms faithfully
represent Italy’s past in its relationship with art and with the customs of
today: industry of the dead, cult of cemeteries, parching of the vital
sources."

John Mucci
9 DeForest Rd
Wilton, CT 06897