> Nice that Mascagni gets some PR - and Boccelli sells big, so that's
 > fine.  IMO his operatic singing stinks, though; I heard his opera
 > arias album, it was terrible. Sad that the broad masses has come to
 > believe that Boccelli is how a tenor should sound ...

I haven't heard his opera album yet, but I like him as a "pop"
singer. His voice is definitely above average. A friend of mine heard
him at the San Jose (California) Arena a few months ago, and told me
that he sung something from L'amico Fritz!

 > This is why this piece has reached the masses; it has that broad
 > film score feel, it was used in The Godfather, wasn't it?  The
 > intermezzo in "Amica" is very good, though, IMO. And loooong! Great
 > opera, "Amica", music-wise, anyway. Again thank you, Erik! "Orfani e
 > senza pan" must be the most underrated tenor aria ever written! A
 > great piece of music!  Truly original!

Yes, The Godfather Part III features the Prelude of Cavalleria, and
Raging Bull, the Intermezzo, the Sogno di Ratcliff, and the Barcarole
from Silvano.

There is definitely some great music in Amica. "Perche restar in
silenzio cosi" ("Pourquoi garder ce silence obstine") is also
fantastic. I want the French version though, as the music was written
against the French text. Just the sentence above is of higher
conception in French than in Italian!

-Erik