Charles,

Like John mentioned, GRE tunnels can get you a VPN style
connection running.  There is also a Linux HOWTO on using a
combination of PPPD and SSH to do VPNs with Linux.

Regarding you Novell enviroment issue, I take it the
main protocol there is IPX.  True?  Is this Novell v3 or
v4?  Is bindery and/or NDS tree authentication an issue?

Linux supports IPX natively as does PPP.  You shouldn't
have any real issues getting remote access people into
the network via Linux.

--David

At 11:45 AM 11/6/98 -0600, John Schmerold wrote:
>Along those same lines, it would be neato-keen if there was a way - maybe
>there already is a way to set-up a VPN that routes IP & IPX over internet
>where the remotes have unknown / variable IP addresses.
>
>My application is a situation where office, i'll call main has numerous
>remote locations, I'll call remote.  The remotes would dial into any
>$20/month ISP & establish a Wide Area network with main.  What would be
>real sexy is if remotes could be referred by static IP Networks such as
>192.168.10.0/c, 192.168.11.0/c etc
>
>Certainly this solution wouldn't work for serious data access, but it would
>work for low volume transactions such as email & occasional look-ups.
>
>Has anyone implemented this?
>
>At 09:33 AM 11/6/98 -0600, Charles Shoemaker wrote:
>>Hello, masq'ers:
>>
>>Many of you are familiar, I'm sure, with Microsoft's RAS, where a
>>remote user gains access to a server or network.  In the NT
>>environment, RAS works pretty well.  What options do we have in the
>>Linux world, for remotely accessing a private lan?
>>
>>Specifically, I have several clients running on Novell Netware lans,
>>where I will be installing Linux internet firewalls.  They're asking
>>about dial-in.  I've used Novell's Netware Connect in the past, and
>>it's slow, and clumsy to use.
>>
>>Are any of you doing something like this?  I'm going to start a
>>little playing with this soon, and am wondering what solutions you
>>might have.  One thought would be to ncpmount the Netware volume
>>somewhere in the Linux filesystem, then re-share it via Samba, but
>>that's ugly.
>>
>>If I come up with an inspiration, I'll be happy to share it.  In the
>>meantime, let's kick it around and see what we find.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Charlie Shoemaker
>>
>>"Some people crave baseball - I find this unfathomable - but I can
>>easily understand why a person could get excited about playing a
>>bassoon."
>>Frank Zappa
>>For daily digest info, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>John Schmerold
>Katy Computer Systems
>20 Meramec Station Rd
>Valley Park, MO 63088
>314-316-9000 v
>314-316-9200 f
>email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>For daily digest info, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

|  David A. Ranch - Remote Access/Linux/PC hardware      [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
`----- For more detailed info, see http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch -----'