When the Linux box machine is connected to the cablemodem, are you
able to run a ping..

        FROM the MASQ console and from a MASQ'ed computer to:

        - the MASQ server's local cablemodem IP address
        - the MASQ server's remote cablemodem IP default gateway
        - a different IP address beyond the remote default gateway

>I'm trying to get this working through a cable modem connection with the
>masq host having the same IP for lan serving and internet.  Is this a
>problem?

I don't quite follow you here.  You can ONLY have one given IP address
per interface and it MUST be unique.  You cannot have duplicate IP
addresses.

--David

At 11:25 AM 11/6/98 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I am trying to get ip masq working on Debian Linux, and have tried kernel
>2.0.35 and 2.1.123.  After following the instructions in the howto, my
>masqueraded system only is able to get a response for a first ping or
>a telnet connection with no text being sent.  (only one of these will work
>per boot)  The masquerading system's internet link does not break.
>
>I'm trying to get this working through a cable modem connection with the
>masq host having the same IP for lan serving and internet.  Is this a
>problem?
>
>Any idea on why masquerading breaks so fast?

|  David A. Ranch - Remote Access/Linux/PC hardware      [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
`----- For more detailed info, see http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch -----'