>1. will all the daemons on the linux box run perfectly normally under this
>setup? i.e. can outside people telnet to the 386 even if it's
>masquerading? (i think i know this one, but i'm just checking)

Only if you let them.  I highly recommend that you at least setup
the /etc/hosts.* files to deny hackers some access.

If you are new to Linux, Masq, etc.. read my TrinityOS doc at:

        http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch/LINUX/TrinityOS.wri

>2. physically - what hardware do i need? i know i need an ethernet card in
>both systems. but as far as what cables, hubs etc i need i am clueless.
>the jacks in the dorms are rj45.

Kinda depends on your buget.  You can get 10BaseT NIC cards for $10 new
now.  Get one for the connection to the wall and ther other to the
in-dorm LAN.  I would recommend to get a little 8 port 10BaseT hub for
like $50 if you can afford it.  Check places like CDW, Pricewatch, etc.

>4. under this setup, is there any way for me to mount the drives on the
>k6, on the 386? i.e., if i want to be able to share my NTFS files on the
>k6 with the world, and i can correctly configure ftpd, is it possible?

Sure..  You'll have to do some IPPORTFW setups but it isn't very hard.
I would definately recommend FTP over SMB for world-wide access though.
More secure.

>5. is there anything that acts like this:
>
>   my nice princeton 17" monitor

>       ----some switch?----
>      |                    |
>      |                    |
>    386 vid board      k6 vid board
>
>that way i wouldn't need to bring a 2nd monitor up...

I wouldn't bother at ALL.  Most passive switch boxes totally
blur the screen picture and active switch boxes are VERY expensive.

What do you do?  Once you get the 386 running.. Just TELNET
into it from the K6 for administration.  With a Xwindows server on the
K6, you can even run Xwindows programs on the 386 and display them
on the K6.  I DON'T recommend this though.. X is a huge memory pig.

If you need more help.. I'm willing and I'm sure other peopple
on the MASQ list would be willing!

--David
|  David A. Ranch - Remote Access/Linux/PC hardware      [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
`----- For more detailed info, see http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch -----'