I'm new to linux (a few weeks) and have an "oddball" problem with IP
masquerading I can't figure out. I won't go into a long explanation of
my problem because it may be so specialized I'm afraid to waste
everyones time and bandwidth.

The quick explanation is I have a ham radio TCP/IP application called
JNOS that I've always used. It uses IP encapsulation to route packets
through a gateway, allowing my system to be reached from the internet.
It does the dialing and routing and establishes a "link" (setting the
encapped route back to me) to this net connected gateway via my regular
dynamic assigned ppp account. I have been routing my linux native TCP/IP
and another SLIP linked box through this. The problem is that ALL this
traffic goes through this gateway when I really only need to route my
class C net through it.

This weekend I set up linux ppp dialing, a means of keeping my
connection up and IP masquerading. It all works beautifully and now
my linux kernel, my SLIP linked box and my JNOS program can all reach
the internet. The problem is that I now see nothing coming back from
the gateway that I link to that should be sending my encapped packets
back to me. Normally my packets go out to this gateway using my ppp
dynamic address but return from this gateway with a second IP<>IP
header which is the ecapsulated packet. I see nothing coming back. This
means either I'm never reaching the gateway with my UDP packet that
sets up the routing on his end, or his encapsulated packets are not
reaching me through IP masquerading. Anyone have any clues? If you're
familiar with the JNOS program, it would help. This was long but
believe me, after 18 hours of fooling with it, I could have added A
LOT! I'll be glad to add details to anyone interested, on or off
the list. TIA...

--
Scott Felton - Mount Joy, PA USA
Slackware Linux v.3.6.0