> >howth.physics.buffalo.edu > cosmo.physics.buffalo.edu: icmp:
> >howth.physics.buffalo.edu udp port xdmcp unreachable [tos 0xc0]
>
> Hmmm.. it seems as if this port is blocked.  From the Iana,
> xdmcp are at:
>
>       xdmcp           177/tcp    X Display Manager Control Protocol
>       xdmcp           177/udp    X Display Manager Control Protocol
>
> Are you filtering this on the IPFWADM/IPCHAINS rulesets?
> Are you getting logs of any firewall errors?

In syslog, there is this strange error message:

howth inetd[57]: /usr/sbin/nmbd: exit status 0x01

I don't have a program with that name. I checked and it seems that this has
something to do with samba. How come the linux box is trying to start it?
Otherwise I couldn't find any error messages that would hint towards firewall
errors or anything of that kind.

        nick