I have a strange one here! I'm running straight ip forwarding with a Linux
box running as the gateway machine to a group of other machines each assigned
an IP address with my internet block.

Incoming traffic routes correctly to each machine, outgoing net connections
for FTP, WWW, etc. also work fine. However I cannot access http://www.xoom.com
- the address resolves and starts to make a connection and then times out.

Before I had a IP block assigned I was running the standard single Internet IP
with all the other machines on 192.168.0.* with the gateway masquarading. With
this setup the problem was exactly the same.

I've upgraded to Linux 2.0.36, downloaded the latest ipfwadm module and it's
made no difference.

I've also modified the mtu on the ppp0 device to that of the eth0 device (1500)
and also tried dropping both down to the ppp0 default of 552.

As yet I've not managed to resolve the problem.

Any ideas?,

Steve.

P.S. One other person who uses a completely different internet connection has
exactly the same problem running RH5.2 straight 'out of the box'.