Fuzzy Fox wrote:

> In normal port-mode FTP, the client asks the server to make a connection
> back to it, on a port chosen by the client, in some high-port range.
>
> In passive FTP, the client asks the server for a random port number that
> it should make a connection to, and then connects to that port on the
> server.

Thanks a lot for the clarification.

> Your particular forward ruleset is too restrictive, and is denying the
> outbound connection that your masq'd client is trying to make.  The
> client asked the server for a port, using the PASV command, and the
> server responded that the client should connect to it on port 4284
> (randomly chosen).  Your client then attempted that connection, and was
> denied by your masq firewall.
>
> In order for a PASV connection to succeed, you must allow outbound
> connections between any random ports 1024:65535 going from your client
> to a remote server.

That's the point! I was trying to set up a firewall with pretty restrictive
IP filtering and IP masquerading. But now it appears to me that passive FTP
completely undermines my efforts.

Is there a way to get around this problem, e.g. setting up a loose forward
rule but more strict in and out rules? (I tried the other way round: loose
rules for in and out but strict forward rules.)

Gerd