reply to http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg00086.html
>If anyone could try out whether sending expires (or cache-control) headers
>actually reduces network traffic, please let me know. I do not have the
>means to test this out at the moment.
indeed! it reduce traffic by 20%
mod_expire by apache2 is sending both exprires and cache-control:max-age=xx
i cannot use ExtraHeaders, so i modify the source to add max-age, not expires
still have effect on ie browser(more than 90% of the user)

yes! i can't use ExtraHeaders! why?
with status "Not Modified" mathopd is NOT sending ExtraHeaders
this make IE send request again and again, get NO cache-control header :(
the status bar showing "downloading xx images" is "flashing" each time i click the
link to another page
not even make traffic high, but make user seeing the images so slow

the same problem happened in apache2 with mod_header
which don't add header for "Not Modified" tooo

        Xuefer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
          2004-10-25