On Jul 20, 2007, at 5:53 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:
> However, I have seen a real shift on the numpy list over the last year
> (or two), toward using the namespace.

Yes, I do that to, primarily in scripts.  However, for interactive
sessions, I usually import into the top namespace.  I imagine others
might as well.  Particularly people coming from environments like
matlab will initially want everything up top.

Separate namespaces are great.  I still think from
        pylab import *
should not overlap with from
        numpy import *

I don't think it would be hard to make sure that there are no
duplicate function names in the top namespace.  E.g., mpl load could
be put in mpl, matplotlib, or mpl_io, or something similar.

People will migrate to separate namespaces eventually, as they get
more familear with python, but they will be annoyed initially with
any overlaps.

-Rob

----
Rob Hetland, Associate Professor
Dept. of Oceanography, Texas A&M University
http://pong.tamu.edu/~rob
phone: 979-458-0096, fax: 979-845-6331