On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 19:44:51 -0500, "John Hunter" wrote:

> A minor correction -- all the backends support rectangular clipping --
> but only agg supports polygon clipping currently.  The polar axes uses
> a polygon approximation to a circle for the axes border which is used
> to clip the lines.  I think this would be fairly easy to add to ps,
> pdf, and svg since i think they all have support for polygon clipping.
>  I'm not sure what the cairo status is.

I'm not sure about the cairo backend in matplotlib. But cairo itself
definitely has very good for polygon, (and curve-based path),
clipping. So it should be extremely trivial to add that to the cairo
backend in matplotlib if it's not there already.

And I'd be glad to help anyone doing this if they got stuck.

-Carl