Hi everybody,

About two years ago, I wrote a backend for matplotlib on Mac OS X. This is a
native backend for Mac OS X, meaning that most of it is implemented in C
(Objective-C, to be precise) to fully make use of Apple's Quartz
graphics-rendering technology. I have been using this backend for my own work
for the past two years, and recently I updated it for use with matplotlib
0.98.3. To make this backend available to other matplotlib users, I submitted
it as a patch to sourceforge (patch 2179017 on the matplotlib issue tracker):

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2179017&group_id=80706&atid=560722

I'd be interested in any feedback on this backend from matplotlib users and
developers.

Some information about this backend:
1) No 3rd party library is needed other than Python and NumPy.
2) The backend is interactive both with python and with ipython.
3) The backend was written in C for optimal performance, and depending on the
application it can be much, much faster than existing backends.
4) One drawback compared to the existing cocoa-agg backend is that the latter
allows easy integration of matplotlib into a larger cocoa application, whereas
my backend only cares about matplotlib.

Some history about this backend:
I used to be one of the developers of pygist, a scientific visualization
package for Python that was written about ten years ago and is still in use.
About two years ago I switched to matplotlib
(http://bonsai.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~mdehoon/software/python/gist).
Whereas matplotlib has a vastly superior range of high-level plotting
capabilities, pygist excelled at sheer speed. This was achieved by having three
backends (Windows, Mac OS X, X11) written in C for optimal performance, which
at the same time avoided the need for external 3rd party libraries for drawing.
I believe that matplotlib can achieve the same speed and performance by
similarly having a native backend.

Enjoy!

--Michiel.