I just noted that mathtext and LaTeX rendering behave differently
when using a single "$" character in a text string. This happened to me
when looking at the dollar_ticks example from the docs because I use
LaTeX rendering by default. The problem is here:

formatter = ticker.FormatStrFormatter('$%1.2f')

MathText interprets this as a single "$" character, whereas LaTeX
interprets this as starting character of a math expression (and I get an
error), i.e. I have to write "\$1.2f" instead, which then, however, is
interpreted by MathText as "\$" ... :-(

Shouldn't these two behave equally here?

mm