Thanks a lot Andrew. This looks great.

I'm just reporting some of issues I encountered in a hope that you can
address these  (I'll also take a look if have chance).

 * cla() does not reset spines (positions, color, etc). I think it is
better to be reset, since all other things are. For example, cla()
resets visibility of ticks, etc.

* better support for log scale.

ax = subplot(131)
ax.spines["bottom"].set_position("center")
ax.semilogx()
# this works

ax = subplot(132)
ax.semilogx()
ax.spines["bottom"].set_position("center")
# this does NOT

ax = subplot(133)
ax.spines["bottom"].set_position(("data", 1))
ax.loglog()
# this does NOT work regardless the position of loglog.

▶◀

-JJ