It seems that every couple of weeks, someone understandably asks why one
can't call show() more than once in a script or session.  However, I
think that at least on all non-Mac backends, it now works.  I have
tested it (using ipython, with no threading) on:

qtagg, qt4agg, wx, wxagg, gtk, gtkagg, tkagg, and fltkagg

The only glitch is what appears to be an unrelated bug in fltkagg:
clicking on the window-kill button of a sole open window doesn't have
any effect.

(There is also the difference in behavior: tkagg and fltkagg calls to
show are non-blocking, while all the other backends block.)

What is the situation with respect to the Mac backends?

Is it time for us to change our documentation, and officially support
the use of multiple calls to show()?  If we can do it, I think it would
remove one of the main stumbling blocks for newcomers.

Eric