On 01/09/2013 12:43 PM, Todd wrote:
On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 6:20 PM, Nelle Varoquaux <nelle.varoqu...@gmail.com <mailto:nelle.varoqu...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    - use the autodoc_docstring_signature of sphinx 1.1, which allow
    to have the explicit function signature instead of the python one
    in the generated documentation (args* and **kwargs are replaced by
    the explicits arguments)

If you have to manually write out the function signature anyway, might this be an opportunity to review whether the use of *args and **kwargs is really necessary on a case-by-case basis? I would think from a code clarity and maintenance standpoint minimizing the use of *args and **kwargs would be beneficial.
This approach is very useful for adding new features across many methods. For example, the artist properties can be extended to support, for example, gradient fills, without updating all of the many plotting methods that support filled objects. I think this is an incredibly powerful feature to have, and now that Sphinx and IPython both support extracting the signature from the docstring when present, the downsides are rather minor.

Mike