As pointed out in #1650, we have a bug on Python 3.x handling file-like objects that are UNIX FILEs, but not actual filesystem files, such as the sockets used for a urllib HTTP request.

https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/1650

As Christoph helpfully points out, Numpy has already solved this problem (since 1.5.0), so it would be easiest to just use their solution.

For 1.2.x, I think we shouldn't update the Numpy requirement (which is currently 1.4) -- there, I'll have to port Numpy's compatibility functions to our code base. But for master, I'd rather just use Numpy's stuff so all of the intricacies of this are handled in one place.

(And as a detail, it isn't until Numpy 1.7 that a "CloseFile" function is provided, so even on master, we're stuck copying some code over).

Any objections?

Mike