On Jan 16, 2013 2:05 PM, "Todd" <toddr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.r...@ou.edu> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Todd <toddr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Currently matplotlib uses set_ and get_ functions for reading and
writing values.  However, since 2.6 python supports properties, which allow
access to such values as attributes in addition to using the functions
directly.  Would it be worthwhile implementing property support in
matplotlib?

>> This was actually discussed during a Birds of a Feather (BOF) meeting
back in SciPy2012 (which John Hunter attended).  I am definitely for the
idea, but it is going to be a very painful and long deprecation process.

> Is there a reason we have to deprecate the current method?   They are not
mutually-exclusive.

Also along these lines, it's relatively easy to write a metaclass to make
everything with an explicit set and get method have a property as well.
It's a bit on the magical side, but not too bad.

There are a few things that would have name clashes (e.g. ax.figure and
ax.set_figure) but the vast majority of these would only require manual
code tweaking and would not require an api change, as they already behave
as the property would.

This way you could still have setp and the like along with the properties
and avoid any depreciation. It also would only require minimal code changes
(but significant documentation additions).

Just my two cents, anyway.