Hi Todd,

I agree with the principle of properties - it will make much of the mpl
codebase (and user code) more pythonic, so thanks for proposing this.

Would you be able to give an example of how you propose setters such as
Axes.set_xlim might make use of properties. The particular example I have
picked uses keywords to determine the behaviours of the method itself:

def set_xlim(self, left=None, right=None, emit=True, auto=False, **kw):

For me, the backwards compatibility issue is the key blocker to this MEP.
Would you mind providing some concrete examples (perhaps using the set_xlim
method as a focus point)?

Cheers,

Phil