In discussions with Perry Greenfield at STScI, it seems we are in the
position of being able to get some financial support to pay for a
continuous integration system.

Travis has shown itself to be rather glitchy for matplotlib.  The tight
integration with Github PRs is really convenient.  However, matplotlib
has longer test runs and more dependencies than many projects.  The
frequent false positives start to wear down at a certain point.  And we
still aren't testing everything because we can't aren't installing
Inkscape and other things in the Travis VM.

So we're looking to add another paid, hosted continuous integration
service that will better meet our needs.  A hosted service is nice
because it's easy to give multiple developers access to the system so
anyone can tweak it and keep it going -- the bottleneck of a single
developer responsible for maintenance of the build machine was a problem
years ago when we were using buildbot.  This may remain "in addition to"
rather than "instead of" Travis for some time.

An obvious first choice to me is ShiningPanda, as I have experience
using it for astropy.  Jenkins (the software Shining Panda is based on),
is a really easy-to-use system, for those not familiar with it.  And we
can store the output of the tests (i.e. the result_images) for later
inspection.  I think this feature alone is huge for matplotlib.  They
also offer Windows build slaves.  There is no OS-X (probably because
Apple licensing doesn't really allow for use in a VM), but results can
be "published" to their Jenkins instance.

Are there any other similar alternatives we should consider before we
move forward?

Mike