I'm not aware of any discussion about participating in GSoC this year,
though I am open to the idea.  I was involved as a mentor a few years
ago, but I wasn't terribly involved in the administrative side, so I
don't know what's involved.  I think then we did it under the umbrella
of the PSF.

I'd be interested in exploring a GL backend further.  What, from 10,000
m, is the main impedence mismatch between the current matplotlib backend
design and OpenGL rendering?

Mike