This was an attempt to fix a bug that mpl's KnownFailure plugin wouldn't
load when running tests directly using the nosetests commandline
script.  I see IPython has a testing wrapper script (iptest) -- is that
in part to solve that problem?

In any case, the revert should be simple -- can you try commenting out
the "entry_points" kwarg at the bottom of the setup.py script?  (You'll
probably need to blitz the matplotlib installation directory and `build`
for good measure).  I can't actually reproduce the bug myself, but I
suspect that's because this is somewhat dependent on the order in which
things are installed into the virtualenv or the phases of the moon...

If that works for you, we can just take that out and require testers to
use our testing script (and unfortunately will have to make another
release candidate).

Mike