As many of you are well aware, John Hunter has been the sole copyright holder on matplotlib from the beginning. I'm sorry it's taken nearly a year to do this (as can often happen in sad situations like this), but I think we do need to address it going forward.

I have a PR for this change in #2195.

Heavily influenced by the IPython licensing, I propose to move us to a shared copyright model, where authors retain copyright on their individual contributions, but the code base as a whole belongs to the entire community of contributors. This does not actually change the license from the BSD one that we have had all along, so should have no impact on its usability in or with other projects. I feel pretty strongly that this is the right direction, as it reflects that matplotlib was and is a community project. (And just to be clear, this is in no way an attempt to reduce John's credit for the amazing work that he began).

I hope this will be noncontroversial, but I'm always wary of starting legal discussions on a mailing list.

Mike