On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 10:14 PM, Tony Yu <tsy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Sorry for the delay in replying. It was good meeting you last week.
> Comments inline with a lot of parts cut out.

Hi Tony,

It was great to meet you too!

> On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 10:13 PM, David P. Sanders <dpsand...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>> I have been working, as a first step, on colored line support. This is
>> not, of course, new -- it's all in LineCollection. However, as a user,
>> LineCollection is intimidating and difficult to understand, and does not
>> lead to easy experimentation (I speak from experience).
>>

> I agree that LineCollection isn't the most user-friendly thing to use.
> Personally, I'd be in favor of something like your `linecolor` suggestion,
> but I'd understand if the core-devs have concerns about feature creep.

Yes, I do understand your point, but I feel strongly that providing simple
interfaces for otherwise complicated concepts / syntax is important, and
very much in the spirit of matplotlib as I understand it.

>> At Tony's suggestion, the first step was to rewrite the
>> multicolored_line.py example.
>> You can find my first attempt as an IPython notebook at
>>

>> https://github.com/dpsanders/matplotlib-examples/blob/master/linecolor.ipynb
>>
>> or
>>

>> http://nbviewer.ipython.org/urls/raw.github.com/dpsanders/matplotlib-examples/master/linecolor.ipynb
>>

> This looked pretty interesting when I first looked at it, but it seems to
> be down now.

Apologies, I decided that 'colorline' was a better name than 'linecolor'
(since 'colorline' suggests that we are going to color a line, i.e. it puts
the verb and the noun in the correct order!), so I changed the notebook to

https://github.com/dpsanders/matplotlib-examples/blob/master/colorline.ipynb

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/urls/raw.github.com/dpsanders/matplotlib-examples/master/colorline.ipynb

>> Please let me have any comments before I attempt the next step of making
>> a pull request.

I am trying to get to making a pull request, but am having trouble
incorporating the plot correctly into the gallery:
I have been trying to include colorline.py in the correct place in the
examples tree to have it added automatically to the gallery.
Somebody (don't remember who exactly -- Mike?) showed me how to do this
during the sprint, but I have been unable to reproduce the steps
successfully.

Could you please remind me exactly where I should put the file, and what
the correct sequence of commands to execute is? Is there a special format
that the file should have? For example, it seems that it should only have
one  plt.show()  following the other examples with multiple plots -- is
that right?
(I once managed to get a single one of the plots to show in the gallery,
and have not been able to reproduce that feat since!)

>  It seems to me that IPython notebooks are quite a natural format for
>> such examples, especially with a view to having interactive examples in the
>> future.
>>

> Using IPython notebooks as examples would be really beneficial in the long
> run, as discussed during the BoF. I struggled with implementing support for
> interleaved text, code, and plots for the scikit-image gallery (so that
> examples could have real explanations). IPython notebooks are a more
> natural format for this, but they're not quite there yet---specifically
> nbconvert is still evolving (though this should be integrated into the next
> release). That said, someone will need to write the code that takes the
> output from nbconvert and integrates it with the current Sphinx code that
> generates the gallery. Most of this will be straightforward but tedious.

The current git master of ipython indeed has nbconvert integrated. The
Python script output is also in my git repository -- these kind of outputs
should be easy to parse.
(Though I personally have no idea where to even start with something like
that. Any suggestions? Is there some kind of standard package for this kind
of thing?)

>> What is the situation with tagging the examples? If the examples are
>> being refactored, it would seem to at least be a natural moment to start
>> adding tags, even if nothing is actually done with them yet.
>>

> This is a great idea. I wish I had suggested this in my original MEP. I'm
> not sure if there's been progress on adding an interface for tags, but we
> should be adding tags during any clean ups to the examples so they're ready
> in the

I agree that it should be added to the MEP. From my point of view, the
exact tags that should be used may well be something that evolves over time.

> - Also during the BoF / sprint, style sheets were discussed several times.
>> Tony seems to have already solved this problem in his mpltools package --
>> I would suggest that this could be brought straight into Matplotlib?
>>

> This was my original plan. At the time I wrote the original, the rc parser
> wasn't exposed to the user. That's been fixed now, but I haven't found the
> time to integrate changes into Matplotlib proper. If anyone else would like
> to have a go at it, they are more than welcome. Otherwise, I'll get to it
> at some point ... hopefully.

OK, great.

Best,
David.

> Cheers!
> -Tony

Dr. David P. Sanders

Profesor Titular A / Associate Professor
Departamento de Física, Facultad de Ciencias
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM)

dpsand...@gmail.com
http://sistemas.fciencias.unam.mx/~dsanders

Cubículo / office: #414
Tel.: +52 55 5622 4965