On 2013/07/20 2:38 PM, David P. Sanders wrote:
> And this is my problem with 'rc':  it brings to mind an arcane config
> file hidden away somewhere that has a terrible syntax and must not be
> touched.
>
> As Chris and Adrian have emphasized, the point is that we *should* be
> tweaking away at the parameters all the time.
> I propose to rename as  mpl_params=rcParams

Yes, mpl_params is more descriptive and easy to remember.  rcParams is
ugly, obscure, and archaic.  It will have to remain available for a long
time, but I don't object to changing standard usage to a nicer name.
There might even be a better name than "mpl_params"--"settings" comes to
mind, or maybe "style".

As for parameter tweaking: the defaults shipped with mpl should be
changed only rarely, but we should make it as easy as possible for users
to customize plots, including coming up with good combinations of style
parameters.  In some cases it makes sense to do this via a matplotlibrc
file, in other cases it is better to do the parameter setting explicitly
at the top of a script.

Regarding defaults, note that I said "rarely", not "never".

The whole rc system could use a good review--maybe resulting in lots of
changes, maybe not--so I welcome the attention you are directing to it.

Eric